Malibu wagon sending unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddzedd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
Hey guys, just ordered a wagon fuel tank and, even though I haven't seen it yet, I can imagine the sending unit itself is also pretty crusty. It would also help if I had a working fuel gauge too...
From what I can gather, the wagon's fuel tank is deeper than the sedan/coupe/el camino variants. After some searching, I'm not finding any leads on where I could buy one of these. I've seen a few mentions of astrovan TBI units, but I'm not looking at in-tank pumps, as I'm sticking with a carburetor.
Does anyone still make these? Or is there an aftermarket alternative that doesn't require too much modification?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
IMO, if you don't want to use the Astro unit, buy a coupe/sedan sending unit and extend the pickup tube and float arm.

NOS senders, when they turn up, bring stupid money. Nothing special about them aside from the depth difference.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Reddzedd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
IMO, if you don't want to use the Astro unit, buy a coupe/sedan sending unit and extend the pickup tube and float arm.

NOS senders, when they turn up, bring stupid money. Nothing special about them aside from the depth difference.
Is there any extra modification required for the Astro sending unit?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
To orient the fuel lines the right way, you have to remove the sender alignment tang or cut a new slit in the tank retainer ring.

You'll also need to cap the vent pipe or add a fitting to your fuel filler pipe.

Reddzedd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
Since I'm intending to use this in a carbureted engine, do I still have to do anything with the fuel pump in the sending unit?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Since I'm intending to use this in a carbureted engine, do I still have to do anything with the fuel pump in the sending unit?
Stop here. This solution was based on my wrong assumption that you are converting to EFI and needed the pump in the tank.

If you are staying carbureted, start with an 80s square-body pickup or perhaps small-tank Suburban sender. You will have to modify it so that the pickup 'sock' sits on the bottom of the tank.

mlb602

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2020
94 Astro Van sending unit and pump work great for my LS swap. Let me know if you have questions.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I went through this several years ago. I tried getting a universal sender from a race-type fuel cell to work... unsuccessfully. I ended up finding a NOS unit online and yeah, I ended up paying stupid money for it. But in the long run it was better than trying to get a sedan unit to work along with my fuel cell experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor