Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Iowa

36903110-161.jpg

I didn't save a pic of the TX one, didn't care for the way it looked.

There's also this one under construction, kicking around under the wellhouse lean-to real close to me, guy seems to be dragging his feet....something about a suitable donor car

uE6mzU.jpg

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The one pictured was about what I had in mind for plan A. Hope he does something Nomad style with the B pillar instead of just leaving it squared off like a plain 2dr. wagon. I had to go to plan B when I couldn't find a wagon after searching for almost 2 years. I got an El Camino instead,and used a Cutlass Cruiser roof and rear gate/window section. I haven't figured out how to post pics on here YET,if anyone wants to see pics PM me a cell number or email

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
IMO, the way the roofline sweeps makes the Nomad style conversions look funky, as the roof is still rising at the back of the door glass...gives it a humpback look

faa23.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I like the way the roof flows on this one, and is/was how I was going to build mine

prpv.jpg

sucp_0711_11_z+2007_super_chevy_indy_race+1983_malibu_wagon.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I think my vote would be a combination of the two. I agree the triangular-shaped window on the blue one looks a little odd, but I do like what appears to be a sliding rear window, addressing a major shortcoming of G-Bodies! I do like the straight vertical B-pillar on the drag car better, although I wouldn't mind a slight forward rake to the B-pillar.

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum. I was looking for pictures of custom two door wagons and ran across the picture of the orange and black drag wagon with a link to this site.

I am building a Nomad tribute out of my ‘83 Malibu wagon. It’s been a very long project with some setbacks. Sorry I don’t have any pictures to post right now. Mine is far from done and I actually need to go back and fix some things on the bodywork. I was having it done back then, but I do body work for a living now, so I can finish it.

On mine, I used coupe doors and El Camino door glass. For the slanted B-pillar, I got an El Camino roof and pieces were sectioned in. In order to not get the roof humpback look, you need to splice in a two door coupe or El Camino windshield/roof section. That roof is wider and lower than the wagon roof, so you have to split it lengthwise and widen the sides as it comes forward and make filler pieces. I also needed another wagon roof section to get the pieces to lengthen the pinch weld for the quarter glass.

Mine is also tubbed, which was one of the setbacks. The work was done wrong and was actually going to be dangerous to drive. The whole rear section of the frame and the roll cage had to be redone. And the rear had to be renarrowed.

The project is on hiatus right now. I bought a ‘57 Cameo and had to move the Fauxmad (fake Nomad) to my mother in law’s garage until I can sell my El Camino. Sorry for the long post. I will try to get pictures up soon.

Reactions: 1 users

socalfive

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I'd love to see the photos. I was going to do that to my Malibu wagon until I measured it out and realized all the challenges you just itemized. That's a ton of work but a cool outcome! kudos!

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
I’ll try to get some soon. It doesn’t look like much right now. I have to fix where the B-pillars and roof meet. The guy doing the work Frankensteined a lot of different pieces there. I plan to take it a guy I know so he can make some new panels for me to splice in. Plus I have to reskin the doors. One has a large hole in the skin where some reinforcing metal was welded in the shell because it was changed into a suicide door. Yes, I’m doing just the driver’s door as a suicide door. The other has a hole cut where the door handle was from a failed effort to shave the door handles on my El Camino. I got another door for the Elky and successfully shaved the handles. I have two GM door skins for the wagon. It also has the Elky’s ‘78 nose on it right now. It will eventually get a cowl hood and a Choo Choo customs Monte SS style nose.

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
Sorry to take so long to post these, but here she is. The rear is in stink bug stance right now because I had to raise up the coil overs to get her on the trailer to get her to my mother in law’s. I’ve been busy with house projects and the Cameo.

The Cameo had some scary wiring “repairs”, so I went through the under dash wiring and did proper repairs, changed to HEI ignition and changed the carb to one with an electric choke. I finally got her running last week and now have to go through the braking system. She hasn’t run or been driven in 30 years.
6438C016-C08E-4A04-8BC6-DB75B0C061E5.jpeg
1542FE35-96B1-4517-89D2-B3DFDCEF15E5.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor