Manual Brakes (Not feeling so good)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
1988 Olds said:
Thanks for the help guys. I think we must just be doing something wrong. We are going to test the pressure at the wheels tonight or tomorrow. Maybe a bad master clylinder, who knows?

pontiacgp- do you have a link or a part number I could look up, again thanks for your help

Sorry, I don't have a part number. I just order a 1984 S10 non power brake wheel cylinder. The difference is the piston in the non power brake set up is 7/8, with the power brakes the piston is 3/4.

1988 Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2008
Levittown, PA
Yes I understand that non-power is a bigger bore, allowing more fluid through it. My problem is a S-10 wheel cylinder has 3/8-24 threads and from what I can tell my cutlass has Metric M10-1.50 theads. I don't see how that is going to work out. Am I wrong in thinking I have the Metric threads.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have never seen metric brake lines on a G body. Where did you get your info that your brake lines are metric?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Most cars also list a power and non power master cylinder if it was an option. I would check to see if there is such a dichotomy in masters for the S-10 by using Auto Zone.com and checking part numbers.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Some early models of the G body could come factory equipped with manual brakes. Using a '78 Malibu as an example, I looked up master cylinders and they are different between one with manual and power brakes. The cylinder for manual brakes for whatever reason is more than double the price of a power brake cylinder. The manual one is probably a more powerful stand alone cylinder.

-UT-

1988 Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2008
Levittown, PA
Yea we are sure we have the right master clylinder. We checked the pressure today at the master cylinder and was able to produce 1000-1200 psi without to much problems. At the front wheels my dad measured 1800-2000psi with a little gauge that took the place of the pad.

I am not sure how/where my dad seen that my brakes were metric but I'll have to look into that more. Also we noticed that my brake pads are glazed over and I read that using a more aggresive non-ceramic pad may help alot. Anyone else notice this.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Ceramic brakes are great when they are warm, but scary when they are cold. Or so goes the theory.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Ceramic brakes are great when they are warm, but scary when they are cold. Or so goes the theory.

I had that problem with the ceramic brake pads I tried but I'm using EBC green pads which are a composite material of kevlar and ceramic. Although they are better when hot they're still a great pad cold and it doesn't take much to heat them up. I have crossed drilled and slotted rotors as well so they help with the braking also...

1988 Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2008
Levittown, PA
Yeah we ordered a set of Hawk Performance Brake Pads which are suppose to come into today so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I read on raybestos site that the thread for M10-1.50 for a Cutlass Wheel Cylinder. Can't seem to find anywhere where it says they are 3/8-24

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
1988 Olds said:
I read on raybestos site that the thread for M10-1.50 for a Cutlass Wheel Cylinder. Can't seem to find anywhere where it says they are 3/8-24

I've replaced the brake lines on my 86 GP and a few other G bodies and have never used any metric fittings....why not head to your local parts store and ask to see a wheel cylinder for your vehicle and install a 3/8 - 24 fitting to see if it fits...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor