Manual Brakes (Not feeling so good)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2008
Levittown, PA
pontiacgp - Yeah I think thats what I'm going to do tonight. I've just been so busy with working two jobs in the summer haven't had much time. I got some shows I want to go to this weekend so hopefully we can get it stopping tonight. It didn't make sense to me that they would be metric since so many people have said they are not. Again thanks for your time and help

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i don't know if this is correct for a 20yr old car, but 3000psi is generally the minimum on modern calipers.

1988 Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2008
Levittown, PA
The wheel cylinders fit and the new brake pads are on and its now stopping alright. We are still going to work on it but at least its driveable. Thanks for all the help guys

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
1988 Olds said:
but at least its driveable

I didn't think the problem was if it was drivable....the problem was it stoppable.. :lol:

good luck and let us know how it's working out...I think there are a few in here who's interested in non power brakes so you may be able to give them a few tips...

HFX

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
pontiacgp said:
1988 Olds said:
but at least its driveable

I didn't think the problem was if it was drivable....the problem was it stoppable.. :lol:

good luck and let us know how it's working out...I think there are a few in here who's interested in non power brakes so you may be able to give them a few tips...

Do what Al Bundy used to do, just yell out "no brakes!" as you sail through the lights.

1988 Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2008
Levittown, PA
LOL Yeah it's stopable now and the yelling out the window might not be a bad idea. My suggestion would be if you can keep power brakes do it. If not defiantly get the wheel cylinders and a good set of brakes.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there are advantages going with non power brakes.....save weight, no need to be concerned with vacuum and your able to modulate your braking alot better than with power brakes..

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Brakes are overrated anyways, they'll only slow you down! :lol:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Brakes are overrated anyways, they'll only slow you down! :lol:

I hope I remember that if I ever see you in my rear view mirror.. :lol:

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i'd never go to non-power brakes, i like being able to stop before i do the all bundy as i sail through the stop light.

i just dont see the appeal of a street car with no power brakes or power steering :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor