Manual Brakes (Not feeling so good)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2008
Levittown, PA
You guys are too funny. I got it stopping alright now, but the carburator is acting up lol. It never ends does it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
78MC-BBC said:
i'd never go to non-power brakes, i like being able to stop before i do the all bundy as i sail through the stop light.

i just dont see the appeal of a street car with no power brakes or power steering :roll:

If you ever have the opportunity to try a vehicle that has manual brakes give it a shot and I think you'll change your opinion on non power brakes being unsafe.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i had a 70 lemans with an olds 455 and factory manual brakes and factory front disc and boy that thing sucked big time trying to brake. Hell my moms old 66 plymouth with power drum brakes could brake quicker then the lemans.

no thanks to manual brakes for me i will stick to my vette brakes and hydroboost assist.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
my dad bought a 70 tempest with power brakes, drums all around...I "borrowed" it one evening and the 350 got it up to speed real quick...at a little over 100 I found out I had about 10 seconds of brakes before they faded to almost nothing...that scared the crap out of me and the power brakes sure didn't make the braking any better......

if you had problem stopping with non power disk/drum brakes then there was something wrong with the system..you do realize that the idea behind power brakes was to find a way to magnify even more the pressure applied to the master cylinder so that even relatively weak drivers could apply the maximum force and stop as quickly as possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor