Manual Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I am planning on doing an ngine swap and redoing a 83-88 Monte Carlo SS in the near future. I was thinking about a manual swap as well but not sure if it worth the extra work. I plan on running fuel injection so the 200R4 was going to be replaced anyway. How does everyone feel about converting to maunal?

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have always preferred manual trans cars to automatic for performance cars. You have more control .I converted my 1979 Z-28 RS from a turbo 350 to a Super T-10 .

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
We love manuals around here, but you don't have to get rid of the 200-4r just because you are getting fuel injection. As long as you can still pull the TV cable with the new throttle body and have something to lock up the torque converter with, the 200-4r is a good transmission to have.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I am going to put in an LQ4 block with L92 head and a LS3 intake. i know I can get a throttle body that is cale for the pedel. I would be able to install a kickdown cable on to that? I also like Manual I know that I would have to cut into the floor to install everything. I just dont want it to look like a hack job. i am not looking to cut corners.

Last edited:

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
Depending on the transmission you won’t have to cut much. Also the center console can still be used if you go either tko 500 or 600 or even a t56. Also get the ssm pedal. Depending on the kit you can use F body hydraulics or a tilton universal master

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I was thinking a T56 and I saw a clutch pedal assembly offered byDixie restoration. I am lloking to put 400 hp and 450 torque to the wheels. Would the T56 be able to hadle that stock or would it have to be built?

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I am planning on doing an ngine swap and redoing a 83-88 Monte Carlo SS in the near future. I was thinking about a manual swap as well but not sure if it worth the extra work. I plan on running fuel injection so the 200R4 was going to be replaced anyway. How does everyone feel about converting to maunal?
A version of your car came standard with a 4-speed. It's called a Mexican Monte Carlo. They were not available in the U.S. However, converting to a manual trans is simple. I'm sure you can buy reproduction parts for the swap. I did my Grand Prix not long ago. Plenty of information on this site about converting.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If your car has cruise control you already have the hole in the firewall for the pedal rod. It's where the cruise harness goes thru.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
I was thinking a T56 and I saw a clutch pedal assembly offered byDixie restoration. I am lloking to put 400 hp and 450 torque to the wheels. Would the T56 be able to hadle that stock or would it have to be built?

Should be able to handle that stock. I would use the ssm kit that uses the tilton master. A factory pedal is set up for mechanical linkage and the LS based t56 uses a hydraulic bearing that slides over the input shaft. Unless it uses a pull style clutch then you are going to want the F body bracket.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Over 500 lbft at input is alot for a t56. If it dead hooks on an aggressive launch it may not appreciate it much. I would throw down for a TR6060 and not have to worry about grenading the trans.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor