Manual linkage install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
You only need the Z bar for mechanical linkage. It isn't used for a hydraulically actuated clutch. I'm using mechanical linkage with a T5 5-speed from a 3rd gen Camaro. The bellhousing is the 82 Camaro T5/mechanical linkage unit. They are fairly rare. I'm using G Body linkage.
Is this mostly it? Nevermind, it says 6cyl only.
1655167331123.png

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Is this mostly it? Nevermind, it says 6cyl only.
View attachment 200543
It's almost a unicorn. It doesn't have the big mounting tab on the driver's side of the bellhousing for the slave cylinder. The pivot point (ball stud) is also in a different location. You can't just take a 3rd gen Camaro hydraulic bellhousing like pictured above and cut the tab off of it.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Going to suggest here that the Z-Bars and their attendant linkage are generational to the year/model groups that they fit. By this I mean that the G series of vehicles, MonteCarlo, El Camino, Malibu, Cutlass, Regal, Grand Prix and Grand Am all used the same basic chassis assembly. That tends to mean that all the required holes for the various brackets should be present even though they may not be used for a specific application.

For the earlier A designated predecessors, all this would be different as their parts are mostly exclusive to them.

Chronologically, the A's were produced up until 1977. In 1978, everything shrank, and the mid line became the G-series. They technically ceased production in 1987. If you hear of or see a G that is being depicted as an 88, it is an 87 leftover that was redated for sale the following year.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Chronologically, the A's were produced up until 1977. In 1978, everything shrank, and the mid line became the G-series.
Actually, our cars were still A's until '81 as in '82 they became G's cause most of the platform was to be replaced by the "new" A platform. Technically the only G was the Grand Prix as it used G as it's platform dispite being built on an extended A chassis from '69 to '77 & shared lots of parts with the Tempest/LeMans & later with the Grand Am & Bonneville in our generation of the platform.

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
All of which begs a followup question as to why the year group is described as being 78 to 88 when you go the aftermarket or even OEM suppliers for parts and components? Outfits like OPG don't seem to tend to break it out or employ the distinction.

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
All of which begs a followup question as to why the year group is described as being 78 to 88 when you go the aftermarket or even OEM suppliers for parts and components? Outfits like OPG don't seem to tend to break it out or employ the distinction.

Nick
Easier to go G as it was used a few more years than A. Some places only list '82-'88. Then there's the '81-'88 Cutlass Supreme which nothing fits. It does get complicated at times for no reason. I've ran into issues where a common part for the Monte Carlo was listed as a '82 up part, not a fit for my '81 but GM had it as the same p/n for '78 up. PPG had it right with early preproduction paint info keeping our cars a A's in '82 & the FWD's were listed a G's. Wish I still had that stuff from the paint store days.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Guys is there any info out there on where to cut tunnel for floor shifter? I dont see a dimple like the f bodies have

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor