Manual linkage install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What I did was to mount a spare short block with the bell housing and transmission all as an assembly and bolted it to the motor mounts. Without the trans crossmember it sat on a jack so I could lift it up to the body. I hung the shifter on but without the handle, then as I lifted it up to the floor the shifter hit the spot where it needed to be. I then marked the area, dropped the trans back down, and cut the hole for the shifter. Then I raised it back up and enlarged the hole for the clearance I needed for the shifter to function. If you make the hole too big just weld it back smaller.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The T-10 didn't come in these cars so you are working on a custom install.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The T-10 didn't come in these cars so you are working on a custom install.
Could it be possible the T50 shifter location be close to the where the T10's shifter needs to be? I know the T50 has a centered internal location on the case but could be the best one to use for a pattern the hole loction. This will also cause an issue the a bench seat is being used.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Could it be possible the T50 shifter location be close to the where the T10's shifter needs to be? I know the T50 has a centered internal location on the case but could be the best one to use for a pattern the hole loction. This will also cause an issue the a bench seat is being used.
I was under the impression a T-10 wouldn't work with a bench seat. I could be wrong on that though.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
when dad had the T50 in the Grand Prix with the 60/40 split, the pass side was ALL the way back and moving it was verboten, bc of clearance with the shifter. I remember that, so... maybe? 🤷‍♂️

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The whole point of the weird shifter location on our cars was so on the base car [V-6 W/manual trans] the shifter arm would clear the base bench seat. Once you use buckets then you can fit whatever you want. I had the 60/40 GP seats in my '81 Malibu wagon and the shifter still had to be the forward mounted one. The tailshaft mounted shifter [like on a T-10] that came on practically all other cars will only end up about six inches farther back than the stock G-body shifter. So unless he is going to do the shifter modification, he will need to use bucket seats or cut a wedge out of the bench. Don't laugh- I have a friend with a '55 Chevy and he had an interior shop make a big indentation in his bench seat for the shifter. It actually looked pretty cool.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The whole point of the weird shifter location on our cars was so on the base car [V-6 W/manual trans] the shifter arm would clear the base bench seat. Once you use buckets then you can fit whatever you want. I had the 60/40 GP seats in my '81 Malibu wagon and the shifter still had to be the forward mounted one. The tailshaft mounted shifter [like on a T-10] that came on practically all other cars will only end up about six inches farther back than the stock G-body shifter. So unless he is going to do the shifter modification, he will need to use bucket seats or cut a wedge out of the bench. Don't laugh- I have a friend with a '55 Chevy and he had an interior shop make a big indentation in his bench seat for the shifter. It actually looked pretty cool.
I run the theory that the shifter location is the way it is because after the original development designs were shrunk down to the size they used for production they had to get creative. Bet if the cars kept the 112" wheel base T10's could of been on the list. Even the T50 might of been used in more than just the Cutlass.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I was under the impression a T-10 wouldn't work with a bench seat. I could be wrong on that though.
What I have is a Hurst setup from a 55 chevy that Im hoping clears the Bench.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Another note when it comes to the firewall hole there are three dimples, one for the rod hole & two for the clutch rod boot retainers. Cruise control cars use that hole for the harness & vac hose to enter the interior.
Is this the dimple for the rod hole? How big does the hole need to be?

Attachments

• 719A552F-5AD9-45A7-95A2-390DB229F7CE.jpeg
    719A552F-5AD9-45A7-95A2-390DB229F7CE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor