Manual seat tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

journeyforce

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2012
So when I bought my 1985 Cutlass sedan, the power drivers seat was not working. It was the infamous seat transmission that was bad. In my car the seat transmission housing was cracked open and the gearing falling out. I opted to replace the seat tracks with seat tracks from a manual seat because it is hard to find the good power seat track that is in the 87-88 G-Body. I got one from a 1984 Cutlass Supreme coupe. I was able to attach the seat track to the seat and bolt it all in and it works well enough but I have a few questions for you folks

1. Is the drivers side seat track for the bucket seats on the coupe, wagon and sedan G-Bodies the same? Is there a way to adjust the back of the seat? I am used to having the seat back straight up(sort of like a bench seat) Is this because I got the seat tracks out of a coupe? or because a non power drivers seat has a manual lever on the side(like the passenger seat does) which is part of the seat? I transferred everything over(including those 4 thick washers that sit between the seat tracks and the bottom of the seat)

2. There is a big spring that attaches to one of the front feet(the one close to the trans hump) and to a hole under the seat on the manual seats. There is no hole in the metal body of the seat on the power seat. It looks like an assist spring. For those that converted to a manual seat, what did you do with that spring?

3. Can you use the passenger side seat tracks for the drivers side on the G-Bodies? They look the same but I read that the passenger side seat track is shorter then the drivers side

My replacement seat track has rust on it and I am looking for a non rust specimen if I can fin one(seat tracks are $5 at the local bone yard.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor