Manual trans swap help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbrute

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2009
cincinnati 0h
I have a 80 mote carlo . I am going to put a t5 in with a bench seat . Old school . Lol but i need to know witch is easyer manual or hyd also witch is the cheapest . I have seen other post on here about and asked question but havent got answers . How do i get the john b pedal and how much of a differance from welding the f body ped . Also where can i get the slave and master cylinder all im one peace with the braided line . Thanks really need the help .

I did hydraulic and love it....only downfall if it fails your screwed where as mechanical there is little room for failure. As far as price its hard to say....by the time you source the linkages and pedals or the johnb pedal you have a good bit of money wrapped up in it. With hydraulic you can go to any dealer or online and buy it new with the exception of the bellhousing which many can be found on ebay for less than 100 bucks just about any day of the week. Another downfall to hydraulic is the fact that the transmission is tilted 13 degrees or so towards the driver and you have to get a camaro shifter to make it work and even when you do that you have to modify it or space the handle to fit console which in your case does not apply.

If you want a one piece setup with braided line you have to get a setup for 93-97 which can get pricey.....if you go with 82-92 you can buy the individual components clutch slave, clutch master, o-ring to an adapter fittings, and a braided line from russell. that is what Im running and it worked out beautiful. I am also running pedals from an 85 camaro which all I had to do was weld tabs under the lower brake booster bolt holes to make the bolt pattern to accept the gbody booster bolt pattern. no big deal.

Here are some part numbers and and links to everything I used that was very helpful.
raybestos #CM39838 clutch master cylinder
russell performance 656060 braided line
russell performance 640281 an adapter fittings
dorman CS37821 clutch slave cylinder

http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/

http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/fivespeed.shtml

hope this helps

Thanks that was a big help . How hard was it to drill and align the holes for the master cylinder . Also did you have to drop the left bar on the ped

master cylinder was easy......I used the hole where the cruise goes through.....there was already the right size hole and there happened to be 2 little dimples in the metal right where it needed to be drilled for the bolts. not sure what you mean about the left bar on the pedal.

bigbrute said:
Thanks that was a big help . How hard was it to drill and align the holes for the master cylinder . Also did you have to drop the left bar on the ped

On my f-body pedals one of the braces wouldn't line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor