Manual Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

okfoz

n00b
Jun 8, 2009
I am considering looking for a Monte Carlo for my wife. I personally am more into 3rd Gen F-bodies, so my experience is more there than an anything G-body.

For my first post, I have a really simple question... Like the Subject suggests, Did Chevrolet, ever make a G-body, specifically Monte Carlo's with a Manual Transmission?

Thanks

John

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
pontiacgp said:
the only standard chevy G body made was the Iraqi Taxi....aka malibu

but the conversion isn't too difficult....or so I was told but I'll let you know after I've done mine

Uh, what? There were plenty of '78-'80 manual Malibu's and El Camino's. 3 and 4 speeds both, 2-drs, wagons and 4 drs.... not just the 4-dr "Iraqi Taxis" (I hate that btw!!) where they all went I dunno :(

I don't know for sure if it was an option on the Monte, but I'm thinking it maybe was from '78-'80. Never actually seen one, though....

Pontiac was '79 only, and Olds could have had a 5-speed from 78-79 or 80, not sure about 4-spd... Buick NEVER had it as an option I'm aware of...

but AFAIK all G-bodies 1981 and up were all autos. From the factory that is ;)

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There were some manual trans A/G body cars available (mainly from '78 to '81), but they are few and far between. If you're interested in a car like that, there are aftermarket and reproduction parts out there to create an A/G body car with a manual transmission.

okfoz

n00b
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks for the input, I was thinking that was probably the case... I was honestly hoping to get an 85-87 Monte with the 5 speed...

Thanks again

John

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
If you're an F-body guy, then you can probably appreciate that I used the pedal assembly, hydraulics, and bellhousing from an 88 Firebird for my T-5 conversion. Other than shortening the driveshaft, it's a fairly simple swap (for someone with mechanical abilities and patience, I should say!)

okfoz

n00b
Jun 8, 2009
What did you do to the Center console for the shifter trim???

Interestingly I have a 1987 Formula with the LB9 (TPI) and a 5 speed not 100' from where I sit...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor