Market Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I respectfully disagree, If "cars" were not an investment, there would be no dealerships selling them, weather they would be new or of the vintage / antique type. Not speaking for all, but there are people out there who lost their a** in whatever investments they may be in, and oftentimes people like "tanagele and enjoyable " investments. And investments may not "make" any money but hold it at a place you won't lose any either, yet your enjoyment is viewed as being worth something too. Someone could purchase a vintage car and enjoy it for x amount of years and sell it for what they paid, kinda like locking in their monies instead of losing it in a "market based" investment such as stocks ect.

marketing talks alot of people into buying anything and some will use the excuse of buying something by putting an investment sticker on it. Buy any car and if you can drive it and sell it for the same price you bought it for did not lock you money, the costs of maintenance and insurance, plates and license add to the purchase price and the amount of money on purchase day due to inflation is not worth the same amount years later when selling the car. if the car owner gets enjoyment driving the vehicle that offsets the cost of everything in my mind.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
understood, yet trying to figure out an answer to a question with half the information = incorrect assessment and or answers, therefore my statement was and is relevant. Some may disagree, some may not, that's what makes America great

it may be a sideshow to the market value but it's an interesting topic and does prevent anyone from talking about the market value

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
marketing talks alot of people into buying anything and some will use the excuse of buying something by putting an investment sticker on it. Buy any car and if you can drive it and sell it for the same price you bought it for did not lock you money, the costs of maintenance and insurance, plates and license add to the purchase price and the amount of money on purchase day due to inflation is not worth the same amount years later when selling the car. if the car owner gets enjoyment driving the vehicle that offsets the cost of everything in my mind.
Yes and no in my own opinion, Yes it pertains to 95% of the vehicles produced, purchase, drive, maintain, lose your a**...HOWEVER there are MANY notable vehicles out there that were a good investment (not making a list, obviously too long) but when you can purchase a vehicle for lets say 10K and years later it has a high desire rate and the market is now demanding 150K for the vehicle, that's a "good investment" ...

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Yes and no in my own opinion, Yes it pertains to 95% of the vehicles produced, purchase, drive, maintain, lose your a**...HOWEVER there are MANY notable vehicles out there that were a good investment (not making a list, obviously too long) but when you can purchase a vehicle for lets say 10K and years later it has a high desire rate and the market is now demanding 150K for the vehicle, that's a "good investment" ...
How RARE are those situations though? Even a GNX cost around thirty grand new. I don’t recall ever seeing one go used as low as ten grand

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Rule of thumb, when the stock market is down, car values up, people want to buy tangible items for their investments ect ect, cars being one of them. HOWEVER, as mentioned in other blogs here, there will be deals popping up for quick cash sales because people are hurting, but other than that, I don't see the market on the G body cars plummeting, they might just plateau for a brief moment in time, but the desire and demand for our beloved cars is real, and they are getting harder to find, SO, back to supply and demand friends.

Nah. I didn’t say plummeting. The market is full of overpriced stuff that isn’t selling. I’d just like to see prices return to reasonable long enough for me to buy.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
How RARE are those situations though? Even a GNX cost around thirty grand new. I don’t recall ever seeing one go used as low as ten grand

GNXs sold for $25k 15 years ago. Buyers just got stupid and the prices went up. And bankruptcy courts allowed them to not be held accountable. It’s the American way.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Nah. I didn’t say plummeting. The market is full of overpriced stuff that isn’t selling. I’d just like to see prices return to reasonable long enough for me to buy.
Deals are obtainable, it's just that we have to look harder it seems

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I don't "Recall" saying GNX lol However i have seen 2 in my lifetime sell for 10k each, one in FL back in the early 90s and Dennis Kirban purchased one for 10K and sold it for 15K in one week....apparently from the responses here, that's not an investment :LOL:

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Even if I have to pay $15K for a 50,000 mile original paint car I’ll be feeling good about it. I wouldn’t mind getting the same car for $12k though. A lot of nice looking cars on some of the consignment sales sites. I just don’t trust an online salesman as far as I can throw a 10 ton banana.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor