Market Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I’m 50 years old and have no interest in collector value. If I wanted to invest in something it would not be a gasoline powered car. I want a low mileage car that my wife can put the remaining miles on. A Turbo TA is out as I have no interest in a Turbo Buick V6 like I did at one time years ago. Even though the 5.0 and 5.7 both suck by today’s standards (or at least my standard) that is what I want and don’t have a preference. Tuned Port Injection and T-tops are mandatory.

With the ridiculous cost of a new new car today I don’t think $15000 is too much to spend for something that I’m not embarrassed to drive and can run $30 per month liability insurance. If I could save a couple grand that would be some free goodies for my Malibu.

At least the price shouldn’t be going up any time soon.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I’m 50 years old and have no interest in collector value. If I wanted to invest in something it would not be a gasoline powered car. I want a low mileage car that my wife can put the remaining miles on. A Turbo TA is out as I have no interest in a Turbo Buick V6 like I did at one time years ago. Even though the 5.0 and 5.7 both suck by today’s standards (or at least my standard) that is what I want and don’t have a preference. Tuned Port Injection and T-tops are mandatory.

With the ridiculous cost of a new new car today I don’t think $15000 is too much to spend for something that I’m not embarrassed to drive and can run $30 per month liability insurance. If I could save a couple grand that would be some free goodies for my Malibu.

I think a late 80s GTA, cloth seats, pre-airbag, with red cloth interior would fit your bill nicely.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I really the like GTA but I prefer the camel color interior. I’m not super picky I just want a nice car with t-tops.

• Agree

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas

IDK.... That's super close to the 4th GEN years & you definitely get more bang for the buck w/them (since it's not strictly an investment purchase). A low mileage 98-02 T/A would prob have the same asking price as a 3rd GEN but much improved mechanicals (efficiency & technology). I had extended seat time in both ('90 T/A & '02 T/A). The '02 was easily better when comparing apples to apples (stock/no mods). Not just power either.... Interior, brakes, sound system & the trans.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
IDK.... That's super close to the 4th GEN years & you definitely get more bang for the buck w/them (since it's not strictly an investment purchase). A low mileage 98-02 T/A would prob have the same asking price as a 3rd GEN but much improved mechanicals (efficiency & technology). I had extended seat time in both ('90 T/A & '02 T/A). The '02 was easily better when comparing apples to apples (stock/no mods). Not just power either.... Interior, brakes, sound system & the trans.

I agree that they are better in most every way. My teenage years in the late ‘80s makes me a little more fond of the Gen2, especially the body lines.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Rule of thumb, when the stock market is down, car values up, people want to buy tangible items for their investments ect ect, cars being one of them. HOWEVER, as mentioned in other blogs here, there will be deals popping up for quick cash sales because people are hurting, but other than that, I don't see the market on the G body cars plummeting, they might just plateau for a brief moment in time, but the desire and demand for our beloved cars is real, and they are getting harder to find, SO, back to supply and demand friends.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a car is not an investment, take the money you would use to buy the car and invest that and you will get a larger return. A car comes with an overhead besides the purchase price even if it is not driven. If you want to buy something tangible buy gold or silver.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The thread title is 'Market Values' not 'Investment Value'.

It was clearly stated the desire to purchase the vehicle was not from an investment angle.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
a car is not an investment, take the money you would use to buy the car and invest that and you will get a larger return. A car comes with an overhead besides the purchase price even if it is not driven. If you want to buy something tangible buy gold or silver.
I respectfully disagree, If "cars" were not an investment, there would be no dealerships selling them, weather they would be new or of the vintage / antique type. Not speaking for all, but there are people out there who lost their a** in whatever investments they may be in, and oftentimes people like "tanagele and enjoyable " investments. And investments may not "make" any money but hold it at a place you won't lose any either, yet your enjoyment is viewed as being worth something too. Someone could purchase a vintage car and enjoy it for x amount of years and sell it for what they paid, kinda like locking in their monies instead of losing it in a "market based" investment such as stocks ect.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
The thread title is 'Market Values' not 'Investment Value'.

It was clearly stated the desire to purchase the vehicle was not from an investment angle.
understood, yet trying to figure out an answer to a question with half the information = incorrect assessment and or answers, therefore my statement was and is relevant. Some may disagree, some may not, that's what makes America great

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor