MEBE007's 80 Regal Build Thread almost there

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
well i got my transmission onto my engine. everything is ready to drop in. ill finish up college finals next week then i can focus on my car :lol:

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
what did you use for a power steering pump bracket and pully set up? everything looks real nice. i like the way you ran the plug wires.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
im not really sure what i snagged it off of when we swapped the v8 into it 10 years ago. it was an ac/ powersteering bracket that i cut the ac part off of

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Ok so i got the engine and transmission in the car today. It didnt take too long and boy does it look good sitting in the hole. Anyways some minor issues. Well first the engine wouldnt slip in with the headers on so i had to remove them, no big deal, and it was a pain getting the solid motor mounts lined up. Anyways heres the deal it looks like one of the primary tubes on the passenger side is touching the frame rail and im not sure if I can pull it away from the engine to get a gasket in there. I was thinking perhaps i could remove the header and slightly heat that tube with a torch and lay a socket across it and tap it with a hammer to give it a small area for clearance of the frame. Is that a good idea? Its wierd these are the same headers i used to have on the car the only difference is these are brand new and lack the horrid air tubes and ofcourse are about 8 years newer. Also i had the factor rubber isolation mounts installed with the old setup, the new setup is morosso solid motor and transmission mounts. I did not encounter this issue with the old ones however. Ahhhhhhhhhhh scratches head!!!!!!!!! I will get pictures tomarrow as I didnt have a camera today. Also I noticed that even with the engine in the front still sit substantially higher than the rear does, could this be because the fenders and hood are off? I didnt think they weighed that much. Another thing if I have to replace the rear springs what should I use and secondly should I change all 4( front and rear) also the car has new shocks all the way around and new bushings up front. Any help would be great guys, if no one responds I'll split the issues up and post them in their respective sections. Also my pypes exhaust came in this week and so did my header panel. Check out the deal i got on the header panel http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160181738196&rd=1 It is new old stock and has never been on a car and actually showed up on my door in an original gm box!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance guys.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
can anyone help??????????????

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
can you post the pics of the exhaust? what headers are you using?
i really don't like the idea of indenting a primary tube, it could cause turbulence and restrictions.
i know that some people have had a similar fitment problem, somebody said that when they started to tighten up the header bolts everything slipped into place.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
heres some more updated pics
IMG_2039.jpg

engine in the car
IMG_2040.jpg

another angle
IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

header tubes hitting the frame, problem solved now
IMG_2043.jpg

tach installed
IMG_2044.jpg

another pic
IMG_2045.jpg

tach and shifter
IMG_2046.jpg

headers and G-Force crossmember
IMG_2047.jpg

another of the crossmember
IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
so what was the fix?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
i heated the frame where it touched, and massaged it with a brass hammer. everything fits fine now.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
so i took a 4.5 hour trip down to High Point NC today and picked up my passenger fender and 2 fender wells for $125. car is getting closer to completion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor