MEBE007's 80 Regal Build Thread almost there

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
well i got some more work done on the car. the megashifter is installed except for wiring in the backup lights and neutral saftey switches. the engine is wired up. driver side fender fitted. pypes exhaust bolted in. also got in the moroso trick springs and 3 way drag shocks. tomorrow im putting in my drag bags, and hopefully getting the front end back together.

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

i am going to get the exhaust welded when i get the money so those clamps will go away.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Is it going to lift like that at the track :?:

Nice looking car :!: Very clean :!:

Do you know if those guages would fit into an '84 ??? I like those guages a lot better than mine !!!

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
Looks great as usual. Keep up the great work. Keep the pictures coming!

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
so i didnt massage the frame enough or something, i have a bad exhaust leak at #4 and #6 primary tubes at the top of the ports. pulled it off and put in a copper gasket and bolted it back up. not luck it bent my flanges this time, actually twisted between #4 and #2 so i had to cut the flanges so #2 and #8 would properly seal so basically each set of pipes pull up evenly. well replaced the gasket and still no luck so now im out $40 on copper gaskets what a waste and my headers got dicked up. so should i dent the primary tube, it seems like the header cant kick out enough so the top of primary tubes 4 and 6 seal at the top, clearly seen in the old gaskets. so i either have to get a new hooker comp passenger side header or a new set of headers. are therre some that fit better than others. i used to have hooker comps on it with air tubes in the past and they fit fine. by chance are the moroso solid motor mounts shorter cause this conflict with the frame? this is really confusing.
on another not i got antique virginia plates for the car last wek, so its permanent regristration and 1 $50 fee and the tags are good for life and no inspections and no taxes haha and i got insurance
on a bad not someone tboned my truck and i have no transportation so i need to get this exhaust thing sorted out so i have transportation the above picture of the primaries is somewhat how it still looks i thought i had gotten clearance witht he hammer to the fram but i suppose not.

not that i would not have cut the flange if it did not bend between the ports. i had to cut them in an effort to fix what had happened, since hooker only covers them for 90 days from date of purchase they were long since out of warranty since they were bought last year,even though they werent used untill recently. okay sorry for the novel please help guys.

also what is the best header gasket to get?

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
mebe007 said:
so i didnt massage the frame enough or something, i have a bad exhaust leak at #4 and #6 primary tubes at the top of the ports. pulled it off and put in a copper gasket and bolted it back up. not luck it bent my flanges this time, actually twisted between #4 and #2 so i had to cut the flanges so #2 and #8 would properly seal so basically each set of pipes pull up evenly. well replaced the gasket and still no luck so now im out $40 on copper gaskets what a waste and my headers got dicked up. so should i dent the primary tube, it seems like the header cant kick out enough so the top of primary tubes 4 and 6 seal at the top, clearly seen in the old gaskets. so i either have to get a new hooker comp passenger side header or a new set of headers. are therre some that fit better than others. i used to have hooker comps on it with air tubes in the past and they fit fine. by chance are the moroso solid motor mounts shorter cause this conflict with the frame? this is really confusing.
on another not i got antique virginia plates for the car last wek, so its permanent regristration and 1 $50 fee and the tags are good for life and no inspections and no taxes haha and i got insurance
on a bad not someone tboned my truck and i have no transportation so i need to get this exhaust thing sorted out so i have transportation the above picture of the primaries is somewhat how it still looks i thought i had gotten clearance witht he hammer to the fram but i suppose not.

not that i would not have cut the flange if it did not bend between the ports. i had to cut them in an effort to fix what had happened, since hooker only covers them for 90 days from date of purchase they were long since out of warranty since they were bought last year,even though they werent used untill recently. okay sorry for the novel please help guys.

also what is the best header gasket to get?

You could try and use the SPECTRE header gaskets. They are very thick. Maybe that will help take up some of the room. I have a set of them for my Doug's headers.
Here is their web site so you can check to see what ones you need.
http://www.spectreperformance.com/#HOME

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
yeah its a chevy engine, also to your questioning of the L bracket in my pics above you can see it on the driver side. it came welded on the pipe. also on the header the # 8 port seals flat like this l #6 and #8 are like \l (with the \being the flange and the l being the head) and the #2 is like l. the only thing i can think of is the lower end of the header doesnt kick out enough or it was bent wrong in the factory but anyways my warranty was gone already so i went ahead and cut the flange since it had gotten bent between the ports to try and get them sealed. maybe i can notch the frame and box in where i need to so it like wraps around the pipe a bit, or keep beating it with a hammer. i sent hooker a message seeing if i could just buy a passenger side header. if not i will get flowtechs perhaps i dont know. id go with the hooker super comps but they are to much money and 1 3/4 primaries would only worsen the problem that i have with the 1 5/8'' primaries. still there is the say heating the #6 primary and laying a socket across it where it hits and tap it in with a hammer a tad to give it the clearence it needs. i mean the factory dents the #1 primary alredy to clear the spark plug and they arent tuned headers so i wouldnt think it would make that big of a deal. now if it was the super comps id say no, because they are tuned headers, thats why they are so much money.

any more ideas?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
no i havent had a chance to use it yet, i am unfortunetly not done with the car yet. why did you hate the megashifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor