Michigan dragstrips 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
While other drag strips are closing we seem to be holding are own. Couple more tracks making a come back. I believe we have 7 now.

New life for dragstrip
$2 million upgrade for Mayfield track, property
BY PHIL FOLEY
810-452-2616 • [email protected]

Earlier this year Bill Jennings bought Lapeer International Dragway from track founder Ed Vakula. He plans to upgrade and expand the half-century old facility. Photo by Phil FoleyMAYFIELD TWP. — The Fourth of July will mark 50 years to the day that Lapeer International Dragway opened its gates for the first time. And if Bill Jennings has his way the track will be open for racing again Wednesday.
Jennings bought the track from its founder, Ed Vakula, in April and closed it the following month to begin massive renovations to the property — including ripping up the half-century old asphalt drag strip and replacing it with six inches of polished concrete the full length of the quarter-mile track. He said he’s sinking $260,000 just in the track itself and plans on spending $2 million in improvements to the 60-acre site.
He can afford it. Last year a federal court in Detroit slashed a $36.6 million judgement against the Genesee County Sheriff’s Dept. for a 2010 jail beating down to $11 million, but that still leaves him with a lot to spend. In 2016 following a 12-week trial, a federal jury awarded Jennings, 44, who has since moved from Flint Township to Oakland County, $36.6 million after a Genesee County Jail guard severely beat him following a drunken driving arrest.
Bill Jennings wants to put new windows and doors in Lapeer International Dragway’s iconic control towers, but beyond a fresh coat of paint and new stairs, he wants to maintain its original character. Photos by Phil FoleyA racing fan, Jennings said he had thought about building his own test track someplace earlier this year when he heard Vakula was thinking of selling the race track he built on the family farm on Roods Lake Road. “I raced in Flint when I was a kid,” he said. “My uncles did and a lot of my friends did.” He added, “I love racing.”
Lapeer International Dragway has been a fixture of Lapeer County weekends for a half century. Oakland County’s Bill Jennings is sinking more than $2 million into bringing it back.In 1968, Vakula and his brother, Mike, were partners in a group of family meat markets founded by his grandfather in Lapeer. Vakula said the drag strip was actually the brainchild of Ron Starking, an employee at the market.
Starking wrote on WaterWinterWonderland.com in 2011, “I graduated in ‘64 and soon began working for the Vakula Bros., meat market store, in the mid-60s. It was my idea for them to put a drag strip on their farm land. They did and I worked on the starting line for two years once it opened. I was tall and skinny then and wore a white pit helmet.”
Starking, whose brother Steve owns Lapeer Gold and Diamond, added, “I had just gotten married, in 1967, and my wife worked in the concession stand.”
Now retired from the construction trades, Starking recalled the Vakula brothers as “great bosses.”

Vakula’s grandfather moved the family from Detroit to Lapeer in 1927, trading a house in Detroit for 240 acres on Roods Lake Road. He said his grandfather had been a farmer in Russia before coming to America in 1912 and had dreamed of becoming a farmer again.
He said the family started selling meat at the farmer’s market in Flint and that kept them from losing the farm during the Depression. Vakula said the family eventually opened a meat market in Lapeer and that grew to eight stores before the last one closed in 2001.
But in 1968, Vakula figured he could make more money in one day with a dragstrip than he could having the 80 acres planted in corn for the whole season. On opening day 3,200 people, half again Mayfield Township’s population at the time, showed up for races. The County Press devoted its entire front page to the event that week, observing that $2,500 in prize money had been awarded.
In its heyday Lapeer International Dragway attracted the likes of Art Arfons and his jet-powered Green Monster, E.J. Potter (The Michigan Mad Man) and Michigan Motor Sports Hall of Fame (MMSHOF) inductee Della Woods.
In the 1960s and 70s there were as many as 25 dragstrips around the state, but that number has shrunk to a half dozen or so. In 2012, MMSHOF recognized the Vakula’s efforts to keep the sport of drag racing alive in Michigan by inducting them into the hall of fame.
While Lapeer International Dragway was a money-making operation, “We were always family oriented.” He added, “We had all the big names out there, but we ran it for the racers not the big shows.”
Jennings wants to continue in that tradition.
“I wish him a lot of luck. I hope he makes a pile of money,” Vakula said.
Vakula and his wife, Juliann, are exploring northern Michigan in their Mercedes-powered Winnebago motorhome. “For 50 years I never had a weekend off,” he said.
Jennings has big dreams for the facility. He’s already purchased an additional 83 acres to the south and has his eyes on more. Along with repaving the track, he’s in the process of upgrading the electrical service, repairing the bleachers and fixing the restrooms and concession stand.
Jennings plans to replace all of the asphalt on the property, which is just south of Vernor Road.
“It’s always been a family atmosphere out here and I want to keep it that way,” he said. After spending years getting up at 4 a.m. to go to a skilled trades job, Jennings said he won’t be doing any night racing mid-week. “You’ve got to be respectful,” he said.
But, he added, he also envisions the property as a motorsports park with a BMX track, a campground as well as a restaurant and possibility other racing opportunities such as mudbogging.
“I’m happy and excited,” said Ryan Hartsuck, who’s worked at the track for the past decade. “Even if I did not work here, I’d be out here. I was raised in this,” he said.
The track currently employs about six people, but Jennings can see his staff growing substantially in the next few years.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Since the file was too big I'll make another entry Dragstrips 2

Onondaga Dragway reopens after years of legal battles with angry neighbors
Updated Sep 8, 2017; Posted Sep 8, 2017
23375113-mmmain.jpg

Spectators watch drag racers test their cars at Onondaga Dragway in August. It was the track's first weekend open since winning its court case on Aug. 1.(Courtesy photo)

562shares
By Taylor DesOrmeau
[email protected]
ONONDAGA TWP., MI - The last comeback attempt for Onondaga Dragway was short-lived.
After reopening the track for nine weekends in 2013, a court case brought on by neighbors of the track led to a preliminary injunction, barring all activity starting in November 2013. Nearly four years later, the Ingham County Circuit Court has ruled in favor of the track.
Onondaga Dragway, 4186 Bellevue Road, reopened on Aug. 12, with the help of dozens of volunteers to clean up the facility in the 11 days following the court decision. It's hosted racing on the eighth-mile drag strip every weekend since.

Taylor DesOrmeau

@TDesOrmeau

https://twitter.com/TDesOrmeau/status/905901579659870208

Racers test their cars at Onondaga Dragway in August. It was the first time the track had opened since 2013, after years of legal battles.
5:12 PM - Sep 7, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Plaintiffs Mark Cooper and Gary Caltrider brought the case against Onondaga Dragway, seeking money damages and to "permanently shut down" the facility, per court records. Caltrider owns a mobile home park, built in the 1960s, which borders the far end of the track property.
Having an active local race track has been a contentious topic in the township for decades.
In 2011, the township supervisor resigned and multiple recall efforts were launched against board members in support of the track amid the drag strip debate. Onondaga Dragway opened in the early 1960s and operated until 1978. Attempts to reopen in 1985 were shut down by the township.

Track officials and township officials declined to comment on this story.
"Operation of the track is 'interfering with the public health, safety, peace, comfort and convenience of the neighbors who surround the subject area,'" the plaintiffs claimed, per court documents.
In addition, 25 neighbors submitted statements, letters or affidavits to the court. Complaints ranged from making the area a "Mecca" for burnouts and hot rods to disrupting horses to being louder than the war in Vietnam.
"The legal issue here is not whether some may find the track 'annoying,'" the defendants claimed, per court documents. "Worse is routinely said of Congress."
The 70-acre property is in an agricultural low density rural residential area, officially zoned as agricultural residential.
Onondaga Township granted track managers Ray Comer and Daniel Pranshka a special use permit in 2013 after many well-attended township meetings. The track had to adhere to nine conditions, including restricting racing to Friday from noon to sunset and Saturday from 8 a.m. to sunset - the same hours the track has today.
"The Township Board determined that the benefits from operation of the track to the Township as a whole outweigh potential annoyance to nearby residents," court documents state.

Visit thenewonondagadragway.com to view the track's schedule for the rest of 2017. Practice sessions cost $35 for drivers and $10 for spectators.
The final pieces of the lawsuit
Due to the preliminary injunction, Onondaga Dragway sat dormant for four years. Now that the track has won the lawsuit, it's seeking costs for being "wrongfully enjoined" during the process.
The plaintiffs had to take out a $381,000 surety bond in 2014, which the track now hopes to acquire.
Ingham County Circuit Court could award the money to the track as soon as this month. Onondaga Township, which was an intervening party in the case, has been denied its request for costs and attorney fees to be recovered.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Stanton
Milan
Matin
Lapeer
Onondaga
What am I missing Northern Michigan?
And?

Thunderbirds stip has been closed for years.

Been holding good with the circle track stuff as well. Cherry was bought by a pissed off neighbor under false pretenses and bulldozed is the only closure I can think of.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I love that the guy is investing his Flint beat down money back into the community. He could have taken it and ran. I hope no idiot thinks he's swimming in liquid cash and kills him trying to steal it. Criminals aren't smart, ya know.

If I was him I'd spread rumors I blew it all on hookers and drugs (or lost it all in the stock market) and drive around in a 30 years old G-body.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Aaron L. Thomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2016
Detroit, MI
The Motor City Showdown was supposed to be a precursor to them opening a drag strip in Detroit because all the illegal racing that had been going on behind the airport for decades but obviously that didn't happen. There was rumors that it still may happen because the illegal drag racing still goes on til this day.
http://motorcityshowdown.com/event-info/

And this is not a drag strip but also something cool to have in the area for drivers and speed enthusiast.
https://m1concourse.com/about-us/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor