mini 305 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenc8337

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
NYC
Hi, Im new to the site but have been a G-body onwer for a few years. I have a 1982 malibu wagon. my 229 v6 died on me.
I want to put a 305 sbc in (please no just throw a 350 comments lol) tight budget. I want to put one in with the comp cam kit he268h cam. Jegs said it needs machine work to be used. but i keep hering that it does not need machine work. im going to use the stock transmission i think its a th250. same stock rear belive its a limited slip 271 gears. most likley change the torque converter. any ideas witch stall speed to use with that cam? I have sbc headers and a flowmaster daul exhaust on the car. just looking for a nice cruising car with a little kick and a nice sound. please some input.

thanks steve

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Your going to spend the same amount of money as you would a 350 but have less power. Literally every part is the same price and 350s are most times easier to find because 305s are scrapped not saved. Im not trying to piss on your parade man but your not saving money going with a 305. Same price for parts and not a noticeable difference in fuel economy. I have never heard of that cam needing machine work because thats a pretty popular small block cam.

stevenc8337

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
NYC
Thanks for your input. The reason I want to stay with a 305 is because my trans and rear can most likley handle it rather than a 350. Im just looking to drive the car around but use the things i have such as my headers and exhaust and some other stuff thats all the car is a daily driver. fuel economy does not matter to me. im just here with a part time job trying to work my way through collage.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Yeh I've heard in most cases the 305 is the more expensive way to go mainly due to more expensive parts. Its not a typical engine to build on. The 350 is a great choice if you have not already purchased the 305. In most cases it can get better fuel millage becuase it dosent have to work as hard as a 305.

and in the long run you will probaly thank your self you went for a 350 and not a 305 with no balls.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Nothing wrong with building what you got.. 8) when I first got my GP and it had a 305 with long tube hooker headers and dual exhaust and 4:10 gears, th350 trans. It got moving pretty good for what it was! Now it wasn't a street brawler but it got me going... NOW the best thing i did was swap the Targetmaster 350 and everything i bolted on to the 305 fit the 350. It made a world of a difference!! I bought my 350 with 30k miles for cheap $$ I say build the 305 and then later swap a 350 :mrgreen:

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
Good grief he asked NOT to hear the 350 bs.

I have a xe 268h in my 305 and it just runs ok.
The real problem is the heads, my heads have bigger valves in them and they still are weak.

1. even tho it says stall not required, it could certainly use a bit of stall.
2.I have 3.50 gears and it would like a bit more (especially without the stall).
3. I built the 305 because I had it, and it was going to be a long traveling weekly commuter car, so mpg's were a factor. I had a rv cam at first, but when i didn't need the commute aspect and had problems with a head, i changed the cam.
4 If I tear into this one again or build another 305 I will at least use 305 ho vortec heads if not aftermarket.

[youtube]TmbeMlQl1w0[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmbeMlQl1w0&feature=youtu.be

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
AFAIK the 268H doesn't need any machining. The only mention I saw was for early 265ci engines. If I might make a suggestion, I'd recommend a different cam. I've run the 268H before (in a 350) and wasn't really that impressed. It pulled okay but not great and got horrible gas mileage. When that engine got hurt and was repaired we used an Edelbrock Performer (or maybe it was a Summit copy -- same specs though) and it not only ran stronger, it used less fuel too with no other changes in that combination. Cams don't vary much in price and I can say from experience that the Performer was just a better cam. I know you said mpg doesn't matter but it's a nice bonus, right?
While I commend you on your conservative choice I think it's important to remember what a 305 is. They have a small bore but a relatively long stroke. Your best gains will be from a focus on low-end and mid-range torque rather than higher rpm horsepower. That's what makes a 305 bearable on the street. I don't think there's any reason to upgrade to a higher stall TC. Certainly nothing more than 2000rpm - which is not much more than stock anyway. It's also going to put more stain on your transmission and rearend. That money might be better spent on a gearing upgrade. I'd avoid things like huge exhaust, single plane manifolds and big CFM carbs too. Focus on torque and I think you'll be more satisfied in the end. If we were talking about a 327/350/383/400 the conversation would be different.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
i had a 305 in a 2 door caprice that had the edelbrock power pack( carb cam and intake),headers and a recalibrated hei distributer. it had some get up and go, it would do a burnout and had respectable power it was fun for a big car. i did not build the motor so i dont know if anything was done internally. but it ran great and was reliable. if budget is concerned i would grab a 305 if the price was right.

stevenc8337

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
NYC
thanks for everyones ideas and input. wouuld my th250 that was hooked up to my 229 v6 work with my 305 tho? I saw on some build sheets that 305 cars came with that trans.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It'll work if not abused. Think of it as a light duty TH350 -- that's pretty much what it is. When it finally dies a TH350 will bolt in it's place. I wouldn't spend any time or money upgrading or repairing a TH200 or TH250. They're pretty much disposable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor