missing fender trim

L92 OLDS 2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2023
SW Michigan
Hello friends
I'm still sorting this '82 Cutlass out and noticed a couple (L&R) missing upper front fender trim pieces.
Wondering if anyone here has these available?

IMG_2528[1].JPG

Thanks in advance.
Norm

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interestingly, not all cars had that trim. It was only the ones with the wide belt molding for the side windows, which yours has. BUT- your fender tops haven't been drilled for them. There are two prongs that go through two holes, with barrel clips (factory were plastic, which dried out, cracked, and the trim would jump off down the highway) leaving you with two holes. 22521874 and 22521875 are the p/n's you would want.

What ~I~ would do in your situation is to buy the repro jobs, since finding factory ones COULD be kinda pricey. Cut the prongs off the bottom to make it flat, then cut some 3M body trim molding double sided tape to fit the entire bottom of the trim piece. Line it up and press it on. This way you don't have to fuggle around drilling holes, and the 3M tape, if applied correctly, will be MUCH easier to deal with and hold tight. I don't know anything about the repros, but the originals were some sort of pot metal or aluminum or something. They had a bit of heft to them for their size.

Unless someone has some used ones somewhere, these are the cheapest repros I could find. Parts place wants $58 for a pair plus shipping and tax, Gbodyparts.com is asking $50. I'm not a personal fan, but I'm a fan of saving money on the same part.

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS 2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2023
SW Michigan
Interestingly, not all cars had that trim. It was only the ones with the wide belt molding for the side windows, which yours has. BUT- your fender tops haven't been drilled for them. There are two prongs that go through two holes, with barrel clips (factory were plastic, which dried out, cracked, and the trim would jump off down the highway) leaving you with two holes. 22521874 and 22521875 are the p/n's you would want.

What ~I~ would do in your situation is to buy the repro jobs, since finding factory ones COULD be kinda pricey. Cut the prongs off the bottom to make it flat, then cut some 3M body trim molding double sided tape to fit the entire bottom of the trim piece. Line it up and press it on. This way you don't have to fuggle around drilling holes, and the 3M tape, if applied correctly, will be MUCH easier to deal with and hold tight. I don't know anything about the repros, but the originals were some sort of pot metal or aluminum or something. They had a bit of heft to them for their size.

Unless someone has some used ones somewhere, these are the cheapest repros I could find. Parts place wants $58 for a pair plus shipping and tax, Gbodyparts.com is asking $50. I'm not a personal fan, but I'm a fan of saving money on the same part.

Thanks - Great insight and info as usual.
Interesting that this car apparently never had them. I believe hearing it was born a Cutlass Salon. Wondering if the '80s 442s featured these bits.
I also found them on oldsparts.com for $29 each. Sounds like the going price...$$$!
Great idea for mounting with 3M tape - which came to mind actually.

Thanks again
N

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You said your car was an 82 to begin with? If it was the "sporty" version, it would be a Calais.

That link I provided above gives you the Gbodyparts.com website page selling the pair for $50. Why pay $29 each?

85 and 86 cars were Salons, and they came standard with the wide belt trim, thus the little trim piece. 87 was based on the Supreme, and does not have the wide trim, nor the extra bit on the rear of the fender.

1683051606344.png

Here's an 86 Salon based 442. You can see it has the wide molding and the rear fender trim piece.

1683050961723.png

Here's an 87 Supreme based 442. No trim piece and narrow belt molding. As a note, 83/84 H/O (based on the Calais) didn't have the wide molding either, as well as not having the little fender trim piece. I believe that was because the rear hood trim was body color and probably wouldn't mesh well. However, the NON-Hurst Calais cars had the wide molding and little trim piece.

1683050555729.png

Attachments

• 1683050408492.png
    1683050408492.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 61

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
83 Hurst rear hood trim was painted black but 84 Hurst was not painted it was stainless just like others.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
83 Hurst rear hood trim was painted black but 84 Hurst was not painted it was stainless just like others.
hmmm. This is interesting. I'll get to why it's interesting to me in a minute. Anywhere that is written down? My GM printed sources say something different. Of course, if yours has something else, I'm all ears. You have way more info than I do.

6/1987 Parts book shows 83 and 84 W40 with p/n all their own for the rear trim. 83 trim was p/n 22520449. 84 HO rear hood trim is p/n 22523747. It also shows this part number in the 84 Oldsmobile K47 Hurst/Olds release dealer bulletin, although I can't seem to locate mine at the moment.

6/1991 Parts book says G47 w40 for 84 uses the same p/n 22506643 rear molding as the regular G47 but it says paint to match - silver. Kinda makes sense. Ran out of the correct part, now have to paint the standard part silver.

Here's my "interesting" part: I originally believed my 84 came with a plain anodized aluminum molding from the factory because everything else on the car was original when I got it, best I could tell. The rear hood molding was dull and you could tell it was in sad shape. So I put a new plain one on when I got it repainted. Honestly didn't look that close at it when I chucked it to check for any "hidden" areas of paint or coating or whatever. I didn't know much about the 84 H/O until I actually bought one so I didn't know. Then I caught hell at the HO meet first time I brought it for not having it painted silver. Well, OK, not hell, but I was told by no less then 5 different people throughout the weekend that it should be silver. I then got to thinking maybe the paint just wore off the old one? Or maybe it was supposed to be bright molding? Unfortunately, I’ve seen them both ways at that meet, and TBH, I haven’t given it much thought since. The original wipers on mine were all silver instead of black, but the RPO is on the SPID says they should be black (C18). So they got painted black. The paint was in sorry shape when I got it so who really knows. It was one coat of chalky lacquer, so I'm guessing it was original paint. The decals were thick like the repro kit I got from Don Hartmann, so I know they were factory type on the car. Don's kit was the best repro stripe kit I'd ever seen, although it was a hair different than the factory stripes. Not much, and probably couldn't tell unless you seen them side by side.

I couldn’t find anything specifically stating the color of the molding. Except for the separate 84 W40 entry in the 1991 parts book stating it.

So, based solely on the parts book information, I painted it silver.

Using logic on a GM car, which I know can be scary, I surmise it should have been painted body color on the W40 cars since they have no rear fender moldings and skinny outer belt window moldings. Being a Calais, they should normally have the bright wide belt moldings and rear fender moldings as well. Unless they didn’t change the RPOs to reflect removing the moldings. I'm guessing the fact that B85 (wide belt moldings) wasn't included on the 84 SPIDs, so, perhaps it was a default setting for the molding delete meaning that they did it in reverse: if the RPO wasn't there, the B85 and the corresponding rear fender trim pieces were left off and the fenders didn't get punched.

From the 6-87 parts book:

W40 Parts Book Rear Hood Molding Numbers.jpg

From the 6-91 parts book. I'm guessing since the 84 H/O trim came pre-finished, and the old part number was unavailable, next best thing was to paint a standard bright molding silver.

1683080869737.png

And here's that ultra low mile T-top 84 someone was selling last year or something. It was so nice I ALMOST pulled the trigger on it. This trim looks silver to me as well. Am I not seeing something? I'm not thinking they would have painted it. 🤷‍♂️

1683083168589.png

If you look closely, you can see the paint line bump in the wheel arch red part of the stripe where black meets silver underneath. Typical for these stripes.
1683083574385.png

Reactions: 3 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I can see what's in the yard, but most I've seen didn't have the trim in those spots on the fender as stated above.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS 2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2023
SW Michigan
Whew - Thanks Gents for all of the research and detail on this. That '84 H/O T-top was exactly what my BIL had, and destroyed some years ago. That car is where my Lighting Rods came from.

Based on the fact that my fenders are not punched, I'm going with the fact that these trim pieces were not intended for this car, therefore I will opt to keep it that way.

Thanks again.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
hmmm. This is interesting. I'll get to why it's interesting to me in a minute. Anywhere that is written down? My GM printed sources say something different. Of course, if yours has something else, I'm all ears. You have way more info than I do.

6/1987 Parts book shows 83 and 84 W40 with p/n all their own for the rear trim. 83 trim was p/n 22520449. 84 HO rear hood trim is p/n 22523747. It also shows this part number in the 84 Oldsmobile K47 Hurst/Olds release dealer bulletin, although I can't seem to locate mine at the moment.

6/1991 Parts book says G47 w40 for 84 uses the same p/n 22506643 rear molding as the regular G47 but it says paint to match - silver. Kinda makes sense. Ran out of the correct part, now have to paint the standard part silver.

Here's my "interesting" part: I originally believed my 84 came with a plain anodized aluminum molding from the factory because everything else on the car was original when I got it, best I could tell. The rear hood molding was dull and you could tell it was in sad shape. So I put a new plain one on when I got it repainted. Honestly didn't look that close at it when I chucked it to check for any "hidden" areas of paint or coating or whatever. I didn't know much about the 84 H/O until I actually bought one so I didn't know. Then I caught hell at the HO meet first time I brought it for not having it painted silver. Well, OK, not hell, but I was told by no less then 5 different people throughout the weekend that it should be silver. I then got to thinking maybe the paint just wore off the old one? Or maybe it was supposed to be bright molding? Unfortunately, I’ve seen them both ways at that meet, and TBH, I haven’t given it much thought since. The original wipers on mine were all silver instead of black, but the RPO is on the SPID says they should be black (C18). So they got painted black. The paint was in sorry shape when I got it so who really knows. It was one coat of chalky lacquer, so I'm guessing it was original paint. The decals were thick like the repro kit I got from Don Hartmann, so I know they were factory type on the car. Don's kit was the best repro stripe kit I'd ever seen, although it was a hair different than the factory stripes. Not much, and probably couldn't tell unless you seen them side by side.

I couldn’t find anything specifically stating the color of the molding. Except for the separate 84 W40 entry in the 1991 parts book stating it.

So, based solely on the parts book information, I painted it silver.

Using logic on a GM car, which I know can be scary, I surmise it should have been painted body color on the W40 cars since they have no rear fender moldings and skinny outer belt window moldings. Being a Calais, they should normally have the bright wide belt moldings and rear fender moldings as well. Unless they didn’t change the RPOs to reflect removing the moldings. I'm guessing the fact that B85 (wide belt moldings) wasn't included on the 84 SPIDs, so, perhaps it was a default setting for the molding delete meaning that they did it in reverse: if the RPO wasn't there, the B85 and the corresponding rear fender trim pieces were left off and the fenders didn't get punched.

From the 6-87 parts book:

View attachment 220170

From the 6-91 parts book. I'm guessing since the 84 H/O trim came pre-finished, and the old part number was unavailable, next best thing was to paint a standard bright molding silver.

View attachment 220164

And here's that ultra low mile T-top 84 someone was selling last year or something. It was so nice I ALMOST pulled the trigger on it. This trim looks silver to me as well. Am I not seeing something? I'm not thinking they would have painted it. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 220166

If you look closely, you can see the paint line bump in the wheel arch red part of the stripe where black meets silver underneath. Typical for these stripes.
View attachment 220167
I had my hands and worked on a lot of 84 H/O back in the day at the dealer and never seen one that had the rear hood trim painted, it was always a natural metal finish. My car is a low mileage original and that rear hood trim doesn't even have a hint of paint on it, even if you open the hood and looked at the bottom of the trim. About 8 years ago a member on this forum called me KillerOlds he lives in the next town over he was selling his 84 Hurst he knew that my car was original he asked me if my rear hood trim was painted or natural metal finish. I told him mine was a natural finish, his trim was missing that's why he was asking.

Its possible there could be info in the books I have. We all need to remember that the paint on are Gbody were garbage from the factory with some hoods and trunk lids being painted 4 years after it was purchased new. You say that 5 or less different people tell you that it should have been painted well it wouldn't surprise me that there hoods were painted at one time and they painted over the rear trim.

That ultra low Hurst picture, the trim is not painted it looks just like my rear hood trim not painted dull natural metal finish.
Those part books don't always tell you how the car was assembled or changes made during production runs. I still like to know why they used clear coat on the 83/84 Hurst wheels and not on the 85-87 442 wheels

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yep brings back memories. I worked for Pontiac dealer, I remember the pizza place and right next door the lot full of brand new 442.

Walked the yard yesterday and no trim pieces seen.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor