monte carlo ss 305 to 383 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
Im new to the forum and havn't really figured out the search button yet, I need some input with hopefully more then one opinion.

I bought a 383 stroker motor for my 84' monte carlo ss. A couple of poeple have told me that all the harnesses to the left of the engine bay is removed and not needed for the swap. I plan on transfering all the accessories from the 305 to the 383 only because of the budget for now. If someone who has done this before or can atleast school me on what the crate engine needs to run fine will definitly help. I pretty much would like to have as little wiring showing as possible, Please Help!

P.S. I know how to break the motor in and all the specs for that, I just need a quick class on what harness i need and what wires i dont need.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
The wiring on the left, if you're talking the pass side, then you *might* not need it. Does your car have the computer controlled carb and distributor? If so, are you planning on reusing them? If you are then you do need them. If you are using a non computer controlled carb and dist, then yes you can remove them. All the wiring on the drivers side are for the gauges, lights, ignition, starter, etc. All the wiring that goes through the firewall at the bottom is for the computer controlled functions.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
Im truly not sure if it runs on a computer, ive seen some post of other vehicles saying it should be. I do know i have an ECM but i dont know if its considered computer. The 383 stroker motor i bought is built from intake manifold to oil pan. Im on jegs looking at the " Edelbrock #350-1407 Manual Choke 750 cfm Carburetor " I dont think this carb is computer controlled. I did plan on using the stock distributor till i can afford an aftermarket one.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
BlownSmoke said:
Im truly not sure if it runs on a computer, ive seen some post of other vehicles saying it should be. I do know i have an ECM but i dont know if its considered computer. The 383 stroker motor i bought is built from intake manifold to oil pan. Im on jegs looking at the " Edelbrock #350-1407 Manual Choke 750 cfm Carburetor " I dont think this carb is computer controlled. I did plan on using the stock distributor till i can afford an aftermarket one.

If it has a ecm then its computer controlled unless somebody has already swapped the computer control to regular carb. Just look at the carb and you will be able to tell. Electronics on it(computer controlled), none(regular carb). If its computer controlled you will need a different distributor from a non computer car.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
Ok yeah its computer controlled and now what i thought was gunna be easy is now taking more work. The car ECM is not connected to the carb as we speak. I bought it like this, engine runs normal with out the connection but engine light is on because of it. I want to use my stock distributor but do i need a computer controlled carb or can i get an edlebrock off jegs? i plan on using my stock distributor to lower the cost on the swap.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
The Jegs carb you are looking at won't work with the CCC System.

If you dont have a computer controlled carb on the car at this time then I wouldnt bother with trying to find one. Go to the wreckers and pull a non CCC distributor out of any V8 SBC chevy car or truck ( say 1980 and older ) and pop it in place of the CCC Distirbutor. You can tell if you have a CCC distributor if there is no place to plug the vacuum into and it has an extra wire out of the base which plugs into the harness.

From there pull the Check Engine Lightbulb and you are good to go. It's up to you if you want to gut the rest of the wiring but that will get you moving for now on the cheap.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
My stock carb is computer controlled, the ECM hooks up to it but it was disconnected and never put back

Attachments

• GP bar.jpg
    GP bar.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,381

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
so what do you want to do ? If you want to retain the CCC system then you need to stick with that type of Carb and Distributor. If you want to ditch the CCC system you will need to change both the Carb and Distributor.

What's with the ECM that you say it's NFG ?

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
that ecm will not work with your 383, it set up for a factory 305, so unless you can get it reflashed its worthless.

Attachments

• PA140366.JPG
    PA140366.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 319
  • PA140367.JPG
    PA140367.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 329

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Just go to a salvage yard and get a differant carb and dist. Plan on putting in a rebuild kit (or having one put in) the carb. Later on you can get a Holley or Carter AFB (my choice) or Edelbrock (same as Carter) and maybe an aftermarket dist. If you should choose to upgrade to fuel injection later (like I did :D ) you'll need a differant computer harness anyway. Beware: if you go injection, you'll never have a carb on your engine again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor