motion issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinky_1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2008
so my car basically has no movement on the ground except in reverse but heres the catch i thought the drive shaft wasnt working so i put the car on jack stand it works in every gear forward reverse park wheels spin d/s spins all good right nope once i put the car down only reverse actually moves it any ideas.

please and thank you in advance

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
hmm... interesting.... did you have it out recently? or did it just stop? I dont have an awnser, Im jut curious, and I know someone else might have a better idea.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
ok, either no fluid in trans, clutches are all worn (replacement) or you torque converter could be loose

Blinky_1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2008
um i did not have it out trans was just rebuilt fluid is good

pretty much if i put the car in the air everything works 100%

on the ground no go in the forward backwards is ok though
transmission shifts fine drive shaft spins i dont get it ??

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
you torque converter must not be in all the way, when you pushed it in it should have clicked at least 3 times (assuming you have a th350 o dont know other transmissions), but i think whats happening is that its no in all the way and reverse must be the first click, and the rest arent quite touching, hopefully you didnt mess up your front pump though starting it up like this.

Blinky_1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2008
i already had it running for a few months i dont believe its the tourque converter or transmission im thinking rear end maybe....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the torque converter doesn't seat properly when installing the transmission the torque converter will bind up against the flex plate making it impossible to line up the bolt holes so unless your unlucky enough to jam the torque converter in the right place to line up the holes it's impossible not to have the converter in place to engage the pump....

if the fluid level is ok then the transmission is toast...if it was the rear end you 'd hear it when it's up the air to see if it would turn

Blinky_1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2008
if the transmission is toast why would it shift through all gears fine when its in the air ??

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Just my thinking, but it could have something to do with resistance. There is no resistance while it is up on stands, but put it on the ground and it has to push the car. If it is too weak, it won't be able to overcome the resistance. It makes sense in my head anyway. :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor