Motor Mount Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
So my dad and I have an ongoing debate about how my SBC sits in my Cutty. He says it is tilted too far back, beucase of the cheap napa mounts we used in the swap. The fact that my car broke the bell housing on the transmission is just convincing him more and more. I think it looks fine and the case on the 700R4 was cracked when we put it in. My question for you guys with a SBC in a Cutlass is what motor mounts did you use, and how does your engine sit in the bay? Pics and links would be appreciated. Here are some pics of the way my engine sits. Might be kinda hard to tell from the pics.

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

And a little bonus of the transmission carnage.

b4c7f420.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Can't really tell from pics, but it doesn't jump out at me as way off or anything. The tilting of the engine would be more dependent on your transmission crossmember and mount than your actual engine mount. I'd have to disagree with your Dad.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
jrm81bu said:
Can't really tell from pics, but it doesn't jump out at me as way off or anything. The tilting of the engine would be more dependent on your transmission crossmember and mount than your actual engine mount. I'd have to disagree with your Dad.
^^^ I second that statement. Did you use Gbody SBC frame pads and MC/SS motor mounts? My engine sits a bit high in my opinion, but I used SBO 307 frame pads and 307 mounts...so I guess thats how its supposed to sit...heres a pic

007.jpg

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
We used Monte frame pads and mounts for a Monte, and the cross member is the stock one, just flipped over with the mount re-welded. It doesn't look too much off but I can sort of see where he is coming from. I just can't see shelling out the cash for polyurethane clamshell mounts if nothing is really wrong.

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
if your using the stock crossmember do you have the rubber pads that go between the frame and crossmember? that would be the only thing that would lay the motor back a little. Never seen a trans break like that unless it was loose or cracked already. Any way the only thing that the motor laying back would affect would be pinion angle....jmo

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
Trying to decide on altering my mounts, as well. Used the stock 307 mounts for my 330, and I don't know if it is the mount, or the Performer RPM manifold, but my motor sits too high...the carb is above the fender line, and I don't really want to cut the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor