motor mounts option/ install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Here you go 530 ft/lbs with 3.385" stock stroke at the crank thanks to aluminum heads and a big solid roller cam. Not cheap and barely streetable with that cam.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Remember, a chassis dyno does not show engine torque. It shows multiplied torque through the torque converter. A chassis dyno is a tuning tool for bragging rights.

Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I stand corrected. Dick Miller made it happen.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
No nitrous but an aggressive roller cam and ported heads. Do you believe the 500+ ft/lb at the crank for the 4" stroke Olds 350 stroker builds Cutlassefi has been doing? There are many things that affect torque production other than crank stroke. Long small intake runners also play a part. Olds factory heads suck for high rpm use but work with everything else to produce more low end torque than brand "C" stock, down low.
If I'm not mistaken, the "350" would be well over 400cid. With an aggressive roller cam and ported heads I'd be disappointed if it DIDN'T have 500lbs.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If I'm not mistaken, the "350" would be well over 400cid. With an aggressive roller cam and ported heads I'd be disappointed if it DIDN'T have 500lbs.
Agreed. And adding stroke does add torque but there are other factors. Mark did a 9 to 1 compression 422 ci with #7 heads with the bowls opened with a cutter and no porting otherwise just 2"/1.625" valves, mild maybe 220 duration hydraulic roller cam and made 406 hp and 508 ft/lbs of torque. Mark said 89 octane would be no problem probably 87 would work just fine. Plus the crank weighs less than a 330 crank. I have seen way to many failed 455 builds to even consider trying one. They are kind of like a 2004R trans. Great if built right, in stock form pushed hard, a big expense to fix right.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Agreed. And adding stroke does add torque but there are other factors. Mark did a 9 to 1 compression 422 ci with #7 heads with the bowls opened with a cutter and no porting otherwise just 2"/1.625" valves, mild maybe 220 duration hydraulic roller cam and made 406 hp and 508 ft/lbs of torque. Mark said 89 octane would be no problem probably 87 would work just fine. Plus the crank weighs less than a 330 crank. I have seen way to many failed 455 builds to even consider trying one. They are kind of like a 2004R trans. Great if built right, in stock form pushed hard, a big expense to fix right.
You just need to lose the wet noodle N crank. I have to admit that I have absolute confidence in Trimble's offset ground 425 unit in my 468 (4.24" stroke- factory 455ish). I threw a J&S Halo in for good measure, even though its worth has been debated heavily for years. How can it hurt?

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You just need to lose the wet noodle N crank. I have to admit that I have absolute confidence in Trimble's offset ground 425 unit in my 468 (4.24" stroke- factory 455ish). I threw a J&S Halo in for good measure, even though its worth has been debated heavily for years. How can it hurt?
Frank Trimble's Olds builds are an example of builds done right, everyone is happy with them. Olds experts are all over the board for clearances. I have a Ohio crankshaft machined offset ground steel 330 3.5" stroke crank done to Smitty's spec, which are tight. I believe .0025 mains and .0022 rods. I do have much lighter pistons and Scat rods for the 403 stroker which will hopefully help it live. I would be tickled with similar 400 hp and 475 ft/lbs of torque and I should be, maybe more with a roller cam and more ported #6 with 2"/1.625" valves and the same 9.6 to 1. The only thing I didn't like about Briguy's build is no mention of a 1.625" valve added to the heads. Otherwise, a very nice build.

Reactions: 1 user

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Frank Trimble's Olds builds are an example of builds done right, everyone is happy with them. Olds experts are all over the board for clearances. I have a Ohio crankshaft machined offset ground steel 330 3.5" stroke crank done to Smitty's spec, which are tight. I believe .0025 mains and .0022 rods. I do have much lighter pistons and Scat rods for the 403 stroker which will hopefully help it live. I would be tickled with similar 400 hp and 475 ft/lbs of torque and I should be, maybe more with a roller cam and more ported #6 with 2"/1.625" valves and the same 9.6 to 1. The only thing I didn't like about Briguy's build is no mention of a 1.625" valve added to the heads. Otherwise, a very nice build.
I'm not sure on what valves are being used. My buddy might know. And Those numbers were estimated. Kinda assumed they might be a little more than actual, but the car runs good. I'm happy with it. Got my motor mounts today. So hopefully that will go well. Any tips on replacing them? Think I might actually do a video, since there isn't any online...

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'm not sure on what valves are being used. My buddy might know. And Those numbers were estimated. Kinda assumed they might be a little more than actual, but the car runs good. I'm happy with it. Got my motor mounts today. So hopefully that will go well. Any tips on replacing them? Think I might actually do a video, since there isn't any online...
Here's a tip: it ain't gonna be fun! Loosen both cross bolts, remove the nuts, get one cross bolt through the frame pad out, jack it up (board on jack pad under oil pan or trans, replace mount, let it down, replace cross bolt, repeat for other side.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the nuts and bolts on the frame side I use flanged serrated, I put the bolts pointing up so the serrated flange on the head of the bolt will let you tighten and torque the nut without you have to hold the head. I use a magnet to put the bolts in place and put some blue loctite paste on the threads. I just cut the bolts that are in there now cause it is hard with all the supension in place to get to the nuts/bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor