Mounting a front sway bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Can someone give me an idea on how to mount my front sway bar brackets? The bolts holding the brackets to the frame appear to be self-tapping from the factory. Unfortunately, the threads on the frame and the bolts have succumbed to rust. A simple nut and bolt would work great, but there is no access to the inside of the frame in this area. Any ideas?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The bolts are actually a "tribular" bolt that instead of having a round diameter actually has 3 sides to it. This is what keeps the bolt from backing out.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Try looking into a type of nutsert. One side of the frame is accessible if I'm not mistaken... where you can actually back it up with a nut. I've used a nutsert or expandable nuts on a few of mine that were stripped. It seemed to work well.
I will probably redo some of them to make them all uniform. I'll tackle that when I install my tubular 36mm swaybar.

Nov 4, 2012
The passenger side is accessible with a nut and an open end wrench. It's tight, but do-able. I had to put a nut on the backside of one of my bolts that had stripped. It's kind of a 'farmer method' but it works.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On my lower jounce bar mounting points the bolt holes were somewhat stripped so I just drilled them out an re-tapped them to a larger size which in my case I set them up to use 1/2" grade 8 bolts.
If my sway bars mounts were stripped I would do the same and drill them out to the next size and re-tap with a fresh set of threads and if necessary I would open up the sway bar mounts to match and you can use Allen head bolts if bolt head clearance becomes an issue.

Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Thanks for all the input. I'll go with the drill and tap method. New bolts on my budget build will stand out like a sore thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor