Mufflers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
I'm trying to figure out what mufflers woud sound best on my '85 Monte. It's going to have a '93 350 with long tube headers and possibly an x-pipe. Any ideas?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Really depends on your taste. I like glasspacks/cherrybombs, but Im oldschool so Im sure you will hear different opinions from others. I use the longer ones that are a bit quieter than the short ones. Turbo mufflers are nice, but a bit too restrictive, although cherrybomb makes a good one....JMO...

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I like 40s series flowmasters. Some people say they drone. I've never experienced this. Had them on a 95tbi truck and on a 461 olds. Sounded pretty good to me. They are loud.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
magnaflows

it baffles me that anybody recommends flowmasters. My opinion is that the sound is dreadful. and another fact is, the casing of flowmasters doesnt compare to a muffler like magnaflows. I've worked on trucks with 1 year old exhaust with flowmasters that look 10+ years old....

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I've got the Pypes 2.5" kit with an x-pipe and Pypes Violator mufflers. Wouldn't do it any other way, love the sound and its easy to install very minimal cutting required

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Guess my experience with flowmasters is pure luck although I know it's not. The flows I had outlasted the rest of the exhaust on my truck. Michigan winters with salt aren't easy on cars. Especially a truck I rarely washed in the winter. They held up, the other exhaust pieces did not. Had that flowmaster on my truck the whole 6 years I owned it. I think everybody runs flows and people just want to be different :wink: I don't think they are the best by any means but they sure aren't junk.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I've also heard good things about thrush mufflers. I have a borla set up as well and it is probably the best sounding exhaust set up I have heard for the car is.

jimmyp618

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2009
x2 on the thrush , I have em on all mine and at under 30 bucks apop ya cant beat em.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
I had thunderbolts on my old Monte and loved them. The sound was mellower then flowmasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor