BUILD THREAD my 1980 Grand Prix w/BBC 454 build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
I take it (from the fender badge) you got a Vortec 454, also?

This morning, brown Santa made another stop at my house. What did he drop off this time? A shiny new aluminum 4-core 26" radiator:

radiator_zpsnvpwjrst.jpg

Everybody says big block V8s generate a lot of heat, so I went straight for the biggest radiator I could get.

I have firm plans to drop the engine and transmission into place this Saturday morning (October 1st). After that, I can begin to work on installing all the other little things--exhaust system, cooling system, wiring, carburetor/fuel setup, and so on. To that end, I've been spending time in the local wrecking yard (including another trip there today) gathering some last-minute items such as a floor shifter, some v-belt pulleys, brackets for my accessories, and so on.

One tiny bit of progress: when I got home from the junkyard, I installed my new external trans fluid cooler in the nose of the car. Oh, and I also put the hood back on in preparation for trailering to my friend's shop on Saturday. That's not much, but I guess every step in the right direction is a good one. :)
Same radiator my GP came with, with dual electric fans and 170 degree thermostat, my 454 runs real cool. Good thread btw!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I totally missed where you got the FiTech running. Glad to know it worked out for you. I have the 800hp Meanstreet FiTech on my 496 and there's nothing cooler than it firing up with a blip of the key and not needing babysat. No matter what carb I had on it I always had to pump it and baby sit it for a minute. Once you get the IAC steps set and your timing set-kinda gotta do them hand in hand-it will be perfect. If you have any FiTech related issues feel free to message me on here!

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I totally missed where you got the FiTech running. Glad to know it worked out for you. I have the 800hp Meanstreet FiTech on my 496 and there's nothing cooler than it firing up with a blip of the key and not needing babysat. No matter what carb I had on it I always had to pump it and baby sit it for a minute. Once you get the IAC steps set and your timing set-kinda gotta do them hand in hand-it will be perfect. If you have any FiTech related issues feel free to message me on here!
Are you guys using the timing control with the FiTech? Does it work good? Just curious about it. I have a Holley Super Sniper.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Are you guys using the timing control with the FiTech? Does it work good? Just curious about it. I have a Holley Super Sniper.
No timing control with my Meanstreet.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Are you happy with the tanks inc. setup? I'm hoping to order the tank and in tank pump from them shortly. I have seen complaints about some of the aftermarket tanks not venting properly while filling up and having to go very very slow. Yours ok? Love the car, live the BBC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor