BUILD THREAD My 1984 Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ground on the front light harness? Or ground for the light itself.
Could be either really, but usually in my experience, it's the ones for the harness to the car.
Could also be a broken or damaged wire to the bulb itself. Seen that happen quite a bit as well.

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
So not much to update visually, but I have finished the wiring on the engine side (or at least hope lol) and is pretty well all tied into the cars harness now. Just have to wire in the obd II plug and program the pcm. Have to take a measurement for a drive shaft and it should be ready to move under its own power. Have to weld up the aluminum bumper mounts I made up and put the trim and lights and stuff all back on the car. Unfortunately it's not in the budget to get the car painted this year it will look extra "Joe dirt" as my friends say. Doesn't bother me as long as it's fast o_O. Ultra nerve racking as well as exciting to finally hear this thing start. Hopefully this week or next weekend. I will try to get a video up when it does.

Reactions: 1 user

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
As promised I got the car STARTED!!!! It fired up and idled!! Tons of oil pressure, no serious drama (other than a hole in my brand new rad)
Here's the very first start up
and here is an adle clip after we dialed it in a bit more
Words can't describe my excitement when I fired, had a few things to fix on it though
the idler pulley loosened off, made up a throttle bracket, had to fix the tach because it wouldn't register
but all in all it was a really good weekend, despite all the battle wounds to my hands lol.
Next up I need to clean up the wiring in the car, get a wide band, a driveshaft, a blow off valve and new
back rims and I will be hitting the street!

Reactions: 1 users

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
Ok so quick mini update, the car is pretty well together. Still have a bunch of interior things that need to be tied up.
couple other trim parts installed, and the wipers put back on. Got the car out for her first voyage, went around the block a few times.
working on some auto VE tuning with a friend, but the car is really loud and I didn't want to piss my neighbors off, so we headed off to a more industrial area to mess around like responsible adults.
Here's the car with the nose and hood on. The hood doesn't fit the greatest, need to dial it in more.

Here'e my punctured rad that I ended up fixing

My friend and I made it almost all the way to where we were going than ran into some troubles

The car randomly shredded the serp belt. I've had the car running countless times, checked the alignment multiple times and yet the belt literally peeled apart like a cheese string.....

My dad came by after a friend brought me a spare belt and said he had the same brand belt do the same thing on his truck after only going around the corner. I'm really hoping this was a fluke. I'm going to double check everything again but I hope that's the last of my belt issues.
All in all I'm pretty happy with the way it went, things could have been a lot worse than a belt. The UMI control arms felt great, suspension was nice and tight, steering felt good. Can't wait to get back out and tuned and let this damn thing go and see what she's got!!!! Trying my hardest to get to the track for Oct 1st.

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Dang!!!!! Sucks about the belt but like you said it coulda been way worse!!!! Car looks sick with the front end together! That's by far my favorite nose on all the Monte's, it just looks aggressive!!! Keep it up man, you will have going down the track before you know it.....and KEEP us posted!!!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor