My 70 Plymouth Belvedere Resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
This pic shows the left frame rail cut (this is a uni-body car) and sandblasted. There was a pic of the right side too but I can't find it.

blob.jpg

These next 4 pix show the new frame rails, braces and brackets welded in place. This step took a bit of time as I had to position and clamp it all in place and then take measurements. If anything had been out of place the whole back of the car would have been c*ck-eyed. This took several times to get right. BTW, all these pieces were custom made. I had to take measurements of what was left of the original pieces and then create a blueprint so the sheet metal shop could make the pieces. They made 10 pieces.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

These next 3 pix show the finished product primered.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
These 3 pix show the new trunk floor in place. Thankfully reproduction trunk floors were available. What makes this resto a little easier is that the Belvedere is the same body as the RoadRunner and because the RoadRunner is so popular there are many reproduction body panels available.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

These next 2 pix show the left & right underside spring perches and braces (part of the 10 pieces I had made up) and also the trunk floor to quarterpanel extensions (which were available as reproductions).

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
In these pix I have already re-welded the spare tire bracket to the floor, re-drilled all the original access holes in the floor, removed the old quarterpanels, repaired the outer wheelhouse lower welding edges, the lower front of the wheelhouses, ground all the welds flush and sandblasted the entire area.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Continued from above.

blob.jpg

Here, the entire area in now primered in preparation for the installation of the new quarterpanels. That snaggly speaker hole in the first picture was the result of a previous owner butchering the original speaker cutout for a 6x9 speaker. It's a kinda weird setup from the factory. They stamp one cutout as a 6x9 (right side) and one as a 5x7 (left side). As weird as that is, it is the way the factory did it originally. I still have not decided how I'm going to repair it....redo it a 6x9 or as a 5x7. Most likely I will do it as a 6x9 since we usually buy speakers in matched pairs.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Continued from above.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

Here are the new quarterpanels hung and clamped in place. I riveted the top edge for stability while welding. After welding I just removed the rivets and welded in the holes. BTW, these were 2 door quarters. They did not make 4 door quarters at the time (and maybe still don't) so I had to modify them for a 4 door (shorten them at the front edge). Also, the reproduction quarters are not full quarters. They do not include the top of the quarter up to and including where the sailpanel meets the roof. They only go about 2" in over the top of the quarter.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks great. Certainly doesn't look like you're cutting any corners.

• Agree

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Here, the quarters have been welded in place.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

And here, the rivets have been removed and the holes welded in and ground flush.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

View from the back corners.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

Here is a view of the front of the quarters. When I cut down the front of the quarters to make them 4 door quarters I hung the quarters in place and then, from the inside of the car, used a marker to trace the body outline. I then cut the un-needed part starting about 1" from the trace I made with the marker. This would become the welding lip. Then I made slits in the edge about 1" apart so I could bend the edge in.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

Here is a full view from the side of the finished product. This also wraps-up the major structural work on the rear of the car.

blob.jpg

blob.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor