My 81 Limited Sport Coupe Build (Picture Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty Nutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2014
Jonesborough Tn
Nice Regal! I like seeing builds like this. Just a heads up, you need to reconsider where you mounted that cut off switch. Its there for your safety and per nhra rules it needs to be visible.

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
lilbowtie said:
The head bolts do go into the water jacket and need sealant on them. Very nice build 81 - w/ 486 HP you should be running about 11 flat. It
takes about 340 HP to run 12.40's
I agree, there are other people running faster with a lot less power. But by looking at your times you are trapping at a good speed but your '60 are suffering IMO. Drop that '60 time and I bet you will be in the high 11 low 12 consistantly.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
YEA - your 60's are off even for a 12.40 run(1.66) but you seem to make it up by the 1/8th and your trap speed is right in line for a 12.40 run
You should 60 in the low 1.5's and be closing in on 120mph w/486 HP. that's quite a spread for your runs were you changing anything? Also
check to see if your getting WOT on your carb linkage.

81sportcoupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2012
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan CANADA
Thanks for the feedback! The head bolts do enter the water jackets. I don't recommend running head studs, a buddy of mine had the same problem and fixed it by switching back to bolts. The engine is making 487hp at the crank, I'll have it on the dyno sometime soon once the snow melts. My 60ft's were suffering due to the stock 7.5 OPEN diff and stock gears. Once I get my 9" in there I should be breaking 11's with a decent 2-wheel burnout (lol). As far as the shutoff goes, I take my plate and bracket off for racing. I wanted something hidden so I don't have to be so paranoid if I have to leave the car somewhere a little sketchy.

This season my goals are:

-Break 11's and possibly get kicked off the track for not having a roll bar (lol)
-Nitrous
-750 Double Pumper
-Coil overs (possibly)

Only being 22 and having a not so great paying job limits my spending but, so far I think I've done pretty good for myself in the 2 1/2 years I've had it! This car is nowhere near finished!!!

Also picked up a Edelbrock #2999 to replace the no-name garbage that Blueprint put on.

81sportcoupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2012
Also found this, not sure if I posted it yet.

This was back in the summer right after I did my head gaskets, was still messing around with the timing but she was thumpin pretty good! Cut-outs were also open just to piss the neighbors off :D

http://youtu.be/HqW3Me6A9nU

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HqW3Me6A9nU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

81sportcoupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2012
jamon8 said:
sweet build. are you ever going to paint it
Paint will come in time. I want this thing to pull the front wheels off the ground before that happens :D

When I do decide to paint it, I want it to be a dark midnight purple, something that will look black at night but will have a purple hue when the sun catches it just right. OR I'll just re-paint it the factory color scheme.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Ah to be young again and want to show those front wheels of the ground - you will later learn you want to go forward and not up.
Once again great job on your build, your not sparing any cost and I know the final product will be a show piece.

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
lilbowtie said:
Ah to be young again and want to show those front wheels of the ground - you will later learn you want to go forward and not up.
Once again great job on your build, your not sparing any cost and I know the final product will be a show piece.
^^^^ That is very true. With your power now you could pull the front wheels up. Its all about how the suspension hits when you launch. Now when you launch straight and flat, bang second and then the front tires come up well thats just pure power

81sportcoupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2012
ITh4n4tosI said:
lilbowtie said:
^^^^ That is very true. With your power now you could pull the front wheels up. Its all about how the suspension hits when you launch. Now when you launch straight and flat, bang second and then the front tires come up well thats just pure power
Couldn't agree more with you guys! Properly set up drag cars should not lift the wheels, but yes, i'm young, but who doesn't enjoy seeing cars lift the wheels! My goal is to have a mid to high 10 second street car, which is very doable once I get some more funds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor