My Bu's "Re"Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: My Bu's "Re"Build Thread-New Pics 5/14

Looks great!! Love the Hotrod Flat Black.. Are you going to put a cowl or scoop on the hood? I would be worried leaving the air cleaner exposed. (too many *******'s in the world, they might try to steal it or worse, dump something down the carb..). What color are you going to paint it one day?

anakputa said:
Looks great!! Love the Hotrod Flat Black.. Are you going to put a cowl or scoop on the hood? I would be worried leaving the air cleaner exposed. (too many *******'s in the world, they might try to steal it or worse, dump something down the carb..). What color are you going to paint it one day?

Thanks, if I come across a good deal on a cowl hood then that's what it'll get. If not then I may try making a scoop outta fiberglass. I do worry about the air cleaner being in the open but i've driven it in the rain and never had an issue, yet. As for paint the original plan would be gloss black, but since I have a gallon of silver sitting here it may get that. I also have a few pearls to mix in as well, just haven't totally decided yet.

Well between fighting with a suspected collapsed lifter, and the motor being a lil down on power, i'm going to swap back to the old cam. This should solve the on and off rocker tapping. It should also tell me if the lose of power is from the cam or shorter stroke of the 350. There is a cruise-in on Monday the 14th that I plan to attend so, I hope to be done tomorrow. And for picture lovers I will post pics as I do this. There may also be some other changes when this is done.

Well despite the high temps and awful humidity(if i'm gonna get this done on Sunday), I had to go out and start working on it. Here's how it sat to begin with. I know it's an old pic but you get the idea.
100_0495.jpg

First thing I removed was the blower.
100_0697.jpg

In total I probably only got around an hour of wrenching in before it started pouring rain.
100_0698.jpg

I managed to break of my oil pressure sending unit adapter in the block so I guess i'll have to fight with that after I pull the intake. Hopefully will have more pics tomorrow.

Re: My Bu's "Re"Build Thread-Cam Swap 6/12

looks like fun..what cam was in there? If you find the cam or lifter worn better do a few oil changes quickly to make sure you get all the metal. How much was the Blower? I help set up a friends blower car along time ago and that was a rush..67 Chevy II 327 and a 4 speed with 4.11's.... :lol:

anakputa said:
looks like fun..what cam was in there? If you find the cam or lifter worn better do a few oil changes quickly to make sure you get all the metal. How much was the Blower? I help set up a friends blower car along time ago and that was a rush..67 Chevy II 327 and a 4 speed with 4.11's.... :lol:

The cam that's coming out now is supposed to be a NX288HR roller cam. The lifters were stock roller lifters that I pulled out of a 97 vortec motor awhile ago, they were somewhat questionable but I was using what I had. The cam going back in is the same one i've been running for quite a few years, 310* adv. dur. and a .488" lift, blower cam. I may go back to the roller when I can afford to do it right. These lil blowers are up over 2000 now but I bought this one ona motor about 10 years ago.

Well today was kind of a bust. :evil: I planned on working on it after work this morning but decided to sleep instead. Then I didn't get out there as soon as I could have, so it's pretty much my own fault. Wanted it running by tonight but that didn't happen and I stopped working on it cause I just can't take the mosquitoes anymore tonight. Oh well, on with the pics.

A little farther torn apart and a last look at the roller set-up.
100_0699.jpg

Close up of the oil pressure fitting that broke off. Went to Advance and was gonna pick up a set of screw extractors but they were out :roll: . Ended up getting it out by hammering a flat screw driver in there but wasted too much of my time.
100_0700.jpg

This is how it sets now. Going back together, cam in, balancer on. Won't take much more time now though. If I get up in the morning, I will still have it ready for the cruise-in.
100_0703.jpg

Well I missed the cruise-in. However finding the problem that kept me from getting there was worth it. My brother noticed the rotor on the distibutor would not snap back if you twisted it on it's mechanical advance. I hope you guys understand what I mean. Come to find out the posts that the everything attaches to were loose, and could be pulled out along with the weights and springs. The delay of finding another dizzy kept me from making the cruise-in but at least it won't come apart on me going down the road now. Also, I think this was the cause of a lot of timing issues since at any given time it could see none, partial, or full centifugal advance.
The arrows in this pic show which studs I was refering to. You can see the angle they are sitting at. The only thing keeping them in was the spring pressure, after we popped the springs off you could pull them right out.
100_0706.jpg

And here it sits waiting on the rain to stop so I can adjust the valves, set the timing and idle, and then go beat the hell out of it, lol.
100_0705.jpg

The cam swap is complete. I don't have any video yet but I will soon. Still playing with the timing. And been busy adding a few more touches to the car. I gave in and decided that it would be easier to get rid of the yellow turn signals with the VHT Nightshades rather than making my own lenses. And since I had it I had to go ahead and do the taillights also.
This is what bothered my about the front turn signals. The yellow lenses didn't offer enough of a contrast to the mesh.
100_0509.jpg

And this is the fix.
100_0709.jpg

And the before and after of the taillights. The lights are on in both pics also.
100_0707.jpg

100_0708.jpg

Re: My Bu's "Re"Build Thread-New Stuff 6/16

Thanks Darren, i'm pretty happy with results. Now I really want to get the bumbers painted black too, but for now i'm waiting til I narrow them.
Hell, I guess I could still paint them now though, hmmm.

On another note, i'm really starting to be happy with the motor, i keep feeding it timing and it runs better and better. Good thing cause I was pretty let down by the botched roller cam. I was also curious to see how much power going from the 400 stoke down to the 350 stroke I was gonna lose, and now that the same cam is being used, and i'm getting it dialed in, I can tell that I didn't lose as much as I thought I might. Although that isn't a 100% true comparison because of the distributor problems causing the 400 to give me timing fits. I really wonder how long i've been fighting that damn dizzy, oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor