My Camry is (maybe not?) on it's deathbed- Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
I agree with ssn696, help some highschooler make this his first car/sentimental attachment.

I had a customer whose email address had something about “modifier LE” in it bc he was into modifying his first car: a Camry LE. You guys might just be onto something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 4, 2012
hope sis's new car has a backup camera..... from the scratches in the bumper and creases by the taillights, looks like she backed into a couple things.

I know there's some sentimentality to the car, but with the bubbling and creases/scratches/rust/bearings, it may not be worth the trouble. then you have to find where all the oil is going..... I agree with ssn696, help some highschooler make this his first car/sentimental attachment.

Yes it does Darin, you'd be right, reverse isn't her forte. I'll bet you $50 she hits something even with the reverse camera within 18 months.

Selling it is definitely a serious option, but I've got to go over the car a little more thoroughly before I make that decision. If I do sell it, I minimally have to change those rear wheel bearings because no one in their right mind is gonna buy it with them howling the way they are.

I had a customer whose email address had something about “modifier LE” in it bc he was into modifying his first car: a Camry LE. You guys might just be onto something!

I am not modifying the Camry. Camrys are not meant to be modified lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If she can't make time for the long oil intervals on these new cars, f her. I love that I can go 10,000+ km now. Of course full synthetic, I am not an animal:).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
The CEL came back on, so I plugged my scan tool in and pulled the codes. Looks like I'm dealing with two separate issues-

Issue one- P0441, P0446, P0455. All evaporative emissions codes. I checked the gas cap first because duh, and it is broken. So I'm gonna get a new cap for it and go from there.

Issue two- P0171 and P0420. Lean code and catalyst efficient code. The catalytic converter is less than a year old, so it would surprise me if that was the issue. It was an aftermarket one, but I've never seen one go bad that fast (that wasn't bad straight out of the box). Fouled O2 sensor is a possibility due to the oil burning. The downstream is original. The upstream isn't very old.

I've got some diagnostics to do before I start throwing any money at it. There was also an airbag code, B1660, no airbag light though. I'm not too worried about the airbag code, I'm gonna pursue the engine codes first.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
I've never seen one go bad that fast (that wasn't bad straight out of the box).

Working as a mechanic, every. Single. Aftermarket. Cat. We got would go bad within a few months. Check it sooner than later if it has a warranty. It might be bad, and it might be covered.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Out of the close to 100 cars I have owned over the years, I have probably only ever owned a half-dozen "normal" cars, and never really fell in love with them enough to keep one around (aside from our old S10, but that's a sore subject)

Personally, I'd sell now before investing anything other than a new fuel cap. After all, it's a 15 year old Camry.....life is too short to drive boring stuff

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My unsolicited advice, don't spend another second on that car. Why fool with it when you could be working on your Regal? It's a Camry. It's a disposable car. Dispose of it. It's licensed and running and driving. Someone will buy it. Cut the cord bud. This one is just about done.

• Agree

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Joe, you've got plenty of cool stuff to drive and the Buick as a daily/winter beater, even buying gas caps and wheel bearings is detracting from the amount that can be spent on the Regal and your beautiful F150, said the man who's daily drivers are all broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor