My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
And on the topic of rust, I fluid filmed the truck today. I pulled the plugs on the rocker panels and sprayed everywhere else I could. I did my F150 just prior and spent a bit more time with getting all the cavities on that one, but this truck is easier to coat as the frame isn't boxed and the front suspension is a lot simpler. I don't plan on driving it a lot in the snow or salt but I wanted something on it in case I have to. Stuff still smells...

20221110_164212.jpg
20221110_164232.jpg
20221110_164246.jpg
20221110_170130.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
C3068662-0F71-4398-8EE7-05C976EFD19D.png
This is my 97 back from 2013 shortly after I bought it off of the old man I baled straw for. Was only one little rust spot on it at 170k miles. Has 290k on it it now and plenty of rust but it was the best $5k Ive ever spent on a vehicle.
C994F05B-E52A-43A3-BDE7-EE14A6D2E4A1.png
This is my Duramax that does all of the towing now along with my brothers 85 regal on the trailer. I’ve gotten this truck oil sprayed every fall since I bought it going on 5 years ago. I like my old dodge but this one tows considerably better.
8027F4D3-CC0B-43EB-9D19-72E4E7694EE7.jpeg
And finally the 97 dually I just bought. This is actually a good picture of it. Interior is all out of it and the entire body is covered in some kind of rough feeling bed liner stuff. Couple little rust spots on the body but the frame is immaculate. Factory exhaust is even in great shape. Engine turned over one time and fired right up after sitting for almost 2 years. 149k miles. Once my grey 97’s frame is too far gone I’ll end up using it as a parts truck and Hopefully be able to drive this thing for years to come as long as we can still get diesel fuel…………I’ll be curious to know how the fluid film works for you. I’ve been reading some great reviews about a product called surface shield. Same company that makes PB blaster and I’m really interested in trying it out but for now I’ll just keep getting the oil spray. Ill Just have to keep a close eye on the dually frame after seeing how quickly the frame in my 3/4 ton went down hill. I probably won’t drive the dually in the winter if all possible like you plan on doing.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Yearly oil coating helps slow it down. But you can’t kill those metal mites.
Rust is extremely hard to stop but Fluid Film and similar type coatings (NH Oil, Woolwax, etc) seem to be the best way to slow it that I've found.
I’ll be curious to know how the fluid film works for you. I’ve been reading some great reviews about a product called surface shield. Same company that makes PB blaster and I’m really interested in trying it out but for now I’ll just keep getting the oil spray. Ill Just have to keep a close eye on the dually frame after seeing how quickly the frame in my 3/4 ton went down hill. I probably won’t drive the dually in the winter if all possible like you plan on doing.
I've used FF in the past and it works well. It will wash off around the wheel well areas after a bit but the majority of it won't wash off. I used it on my old F150 and it kept that thing from getting worse and I drove it through a couple winters (there is a thread on that truck as well). I also use it on my tractor and all the snow plow components to keep the snow and ice from sticking and it keeps it from getting any rustier.

I've seen some ads and YouTube videos about PB Surface Shield and now that I'm getting to the bottom of my 5 gallon bucket of Fluid Film I was considering buying a bucket of Surface Shield for next year. From what I understand, while Fluid Film is straight lanolin, Surface Shield has lanolin and petroleum jelly to keep it from washing away. The biggest drawback is the price; Surface Shield is around 75% more expensive than Fluid Film which is hard to justify. If the price comes down, I'll give it a shot.

I'll keep driving it regularly until they start throwing salt down. Once salt is down I'll try to keep it to once every week or two and only when the roads are dry. We haven't come close to seeing snow yet although I imagine it's not far off.

Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Yep, the surface shield is quite pricey. Well over $200 for 5 gallons. The place I take my truck to to get it oil sprayed only charges $80 but at 125 miles each way I burn up quite a bit of diesel. Only draw back of the oil spray is the truck drips oil every where when it’s parked for a solid 2-3 months after wards but it eventually disappears over time.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
There is a place that oil coats in Vt. ( it might be the major part of their business) the put a rust inhibitor in the oil. It’s up above Whiteriver jct. Vt. Was told they have a massive tank and building just for it. And they do fleets!

Nov 4, 2012
Yep, the surface shield is quite pricey. Well over $200 for 5 gallons. The place I take my truck to to get it oil sprayed only charges $80 but at 125 miles each way I burn up quite a bit of diesel. Only draw back of the oil spray is the truck drips oil every where when it’s parked for a solid 2-3 months after wards but it eventually disappears over time.

I had a shop spray my old F150 the first time I used Fluid Film and I think I paid $100.

When I bought this 5 gallon pail of FF I have now, I paid about $165 for it. That was probably 3 years ago. Now it costs about $215 for the same bucket but Surface Shield is about $350 at NAPA for 5 gallons.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I had a shop spray my old F150 the first time I used Fluid Film and I think I paid $100.

When I bought this 5 gallon pail of FF I have now, I paid about $165 for it. That was probably 3 years ago. Now it costs about $215 for the same bucket but Surface Shield is about $350 at NAPA for 5 gallons.

How many gallons for a single treatment?

Nov 4, 2012
How many gallons for a single treatment?

I lay it on thick and probably used about a gallon or so on each truck. The spray cans don't go as far as the bulk does out of the gun. I think the spray cans wash off easier too but that could just be me.

• Agree

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I lay it on thick and probably used about a gallon or so on each truck. The spray cans don't go as far as the bulk does out of the gun. I think the spray cans wash off easier too but that could just be me.

I could definitely see the canned stuff being watered down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor