My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I could definitely see the canned stuff being watered down.
Been using Fluid Film since 1989. They where just coming out then. My dad would buy a case of spray cause they didn’t have bulk then. He would sell it near cost to guys. And use it on the wrecker cables. Seems the same now as it did back then.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
The spray cans aren't bad, I use them for touch up and they are definitely a lot less messy than getting the gun out. I think the spray cans are superior for spraying inside doors and tailgates because the straw can fit into the small drain holes. I have the wands for the gun which work fine for the frame but they don't fit into the doors.

You just can't cover as much area as fast with the spray cans. It'd take forever and a lot of spray cans to do the whole underside of a truck with the same coverage as the gun.

• Agree

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The spray cans aren't bad, I use them for touch up and they are definitely a lot less messy than getting the gun out. I think the spray cans are superior for spraying inside doors and tailgates because the straw can fit into the small drain holes. I have the wands for the gun which work fine for the frame but they don't fit into the doors.

You just can't cover as much area as fast with the spray cans. It'd take forever and a lot of spray cans to do the whole underside of a truck with the same coverage as the gun.

Ya know, when I get rattle cans loaded with base coat paint, they don't get a whole lot of paint into that can. After buying 3-4, I'm about annoyed to the point of buying a gun even for small stuff.

• Agree

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022

Just out of curiosity, what kind of gun are you using? Looking into doing this kind of thing myself after this winter.

Nov 4, 2012
Not a whole lot new with the Dodge lately, I've been driving the F-150 for the most part because remote start and heated seats are hard to argue with, but I still take it out a few times a week. We haven't had much snow and rain has washed the salt off the roads for the most part so I haven't felt bad taking it out.

Cold starts haven't been much of an issue, today was the first time I had to cycle the grid heater to help it start and once I did it fired right up.

The horn has started working intermittently so I'm going to need to look into that before long. There are some other items I want to address when I get some time. Emergency brake cables need replaced and the front axle seals are leaking. The axles seals are a PITA and the carrier has to come out to do them. That being the case, I'll probably do the drivers side ball joints at the same time and maybe rotors since the axle shafts have to come out to replace them.

I did a side job a couple weeks ago taking some trees down and we used it as an anchor for a snatch to pull the trees down. It was the only truck heavy enough to not get dragged.
20221204_140539.jpg

IMG-20221204-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20221204-WA0006.jpg

I saw this video on YouTube the other day, thought it was funny/interesting. The other truck manufacturers must've been pretty worried when these trucks came out. Worried enough to make a video addressing it to their sales force anyways.

Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
Just out of curiosity, what kind of gun are you using? Looking into doing this kind of thing myself after this winter.

Sorry, just saw this. I used a Fluid Film gun, but a cheap Schutz gun would work equally as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Not a whole lot new with the Dodge lately, I've been driving the F-150 for the most part because remote start and heated seats are hard to argue with, but I still take it out a few times a week. We haven't had much snow and rain has washed the salt off the roads for the most part so I haven't felt bad taking it out.

Cold starts haven't been much of an issue, today was the first time I had to cycle the grid heater to help it start and once I did it fired right up.

The horn has started working intermittently so I'm going to need to look into that before long. There are some other items I want to address when I get some time. Emergency brake cables need replaced and the front axle seals are leaking. The axles seals are a PITA and the carrier has to come out to do them. That being the case, I'll probably do the drivers side ball joints at the same time and maybe rotors since the axle shafts have to come out to replace them.

I did a side job a couple weeks ago taking some trees down and we used it as an anchor for a snatch to pull the trees down. It was the only truck heavy enough to not get dragged.
View attachment 212999
View attachment 212997 View attachment 212998

I saw this video on YouTube the other day, thought it was funny/interesting. The other truck manufacturers must've been pretty worried when these trucks came out. Worried enough to make a video addressing it to their sales force anyways.

This is true, Dodge were super dated but were GM/Chev much better? My friends Dad bought a 93 3/4 ton Dodge with the Cummins 5 spd. He hated the truck, ride and interior wise, loved the drive train. It rode like a tank, I went for ride. He traded it a couple of months later on a 93 GMC with the gutless but reliable 6.2L, just a much better driving truck.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
This is true, Dodge were super dated but were GM/Chev much better? My friends Dad bought a 93 3/4 ton Dodge with the Cummins 5 spd. He hated the truck, ride and interior wise, loved the drive train. It rode like a tank, I went for ride. He traded it a couple of months later on a 93 GMC with the gutless but reliable 6.2L, just a much better driving truck.

92+ had a 6.5 turbo diesel, you sure it was the 6.2? Splitting hairs, I know.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Was it? Wikipedia says 93 was the last year and that is how I remembered it. He said how gutless it was compared to the Cummins. I also remember turbo and non turbo 6.5 diesels. There were plenty lift fuel pump and controller issues on the 6.5 TD, if I remember right, due to them being right on top of the engine.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Was it? Wikipedia says 93 was the last year and that is how I remembered it. He said how gutless it was compared to the Cummins. I also remember turbo and non turbo 6.5 diesels. There were plenty lift fuel pump and controller issues on the 6.5 TD, if I remember right, due to them being right on top of the engine.

Yeah, like the Ford TFI module it's best to relocate them somewhere less hot. My dad had a 92 6.5 TD with 4L80, but we had a bread van at work that had a 6.5 NA motor. I'm just not sure when the 6.2 got axed, but I know the 6.5 turbo was around as early as 92. Stock for stock, a 6.5 was close to the 90s Cummins in terms of performance, something like 190hp and 400# of torque IIRC.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor