My Father's Oldsmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
well **** !!! That has to suck !!! You did a good job on finding the weak points on it though. Head of QC right there !!

I am sure once or thrice we have all done it. I floated the valves on the monte last saturday chasing some kid in a civic. I figured if she blows , she blows but we had fun while it lasted. I always look at it this way. It's not like you are saving your wife for the next guy in line right ??? Use it while you can. Unlike a wife you can rebuild a motor. LOL

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
...................................yet the weak 455 Olds bottom end held up. :sneaky:

No broken springs? Were you pretty tight on piston to valve clearance? I've seen the head snap off of a lot of valves at the stem, but I've never seen part of the head snap off before.
It is not even the weakness issue on the 455. It is the way too many bearing failures on the BBO on these sites. It seems in excess for the number built, maybe all the whiners show up on line? I have seen maybe one Olds 350 with bearing failures. It didn't make a lot sense built by a proper builder with a forged crank and lighter pistons even with the aluminum rods. Did Trimble go through the heads as well? There have been some Edelbrock heads with tight guide clearance out of box but this isn't 2 miles in with this failure. Not fair regardless.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sometimes parts just break. You had way too many miles on it to call it builder error or a design flaw. Not like you built it to putt down the freeway at 1800rpm. She died doing what she loved.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Long story short: yep, sh*t happened. Don't do it the way I did. Frank offered an Eagle HBeam, KB Icon solution, and it is what felt like 3x heavier. Nuff said- we're going the same but I need heads

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Long story short: yep, sh*t happened. Don't do it the way I did. Frank offered an Eagle HBeam, KB Icon solution, and it is what felt like 3x heavier. Nuff said- we're going the same but I need heads
Captain, is the block salvageable?

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I know China but...how decent are the ProComp heads if they're built right?

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Procomp heads are good if quality valves are used. They need porting to match the Edelbrock heads but are robust castings. Their valves are crap, supposedly measure all over the place.

• Informative

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Captain, is the block salvageable?
The block becomes a rabbit hole. Off the shelf pistons that are in it require .60 over, which is max. I could go 80, but then piston cost is double, PLUS rebalance. I think a rebuilt shortblock and heads will be most cost effective. No wear on the nose of the cam lobes indicate straight up launch- i like that, but stiffer springs are required.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
The block becomes a rabbit hole. Off the shelf pistons that are in it require .60 over, which is max. I could go 80, but then piston cost is double, PLUS rebalance. I think a rebuilt shortblock and heads will be most cost effective. No wear on the nose of the cam lobes indicate straight up launch- i like that, but stiffer springs are required.
What cam are you running?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
What cam are you running?
It's a Travato custom grind- puny by the numbers .491/510 236/242 on a 110., hydraulic roller.. Apparently, its a launcher because the noses of the lobes show little wear. I like it,but might need a stiffer spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor