My (newish) 81 olds cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'm new here. Been looking around for a week or so and thought I'd join. Was wanting a regal for my HS car but a Cutlass is just as good. Needs some work but I have all summer before I can (legaly) drive alone. It's and 81 cutlass with a 455 olds! Previous owner never got around to finish the project. The motor will be swapped out for something smaller and more streetable. Be nice to have a FI 350 or something but I think a 307 would be cheeper. Anyone got any other engine advice? Any idea what color this actually is?

The good-
No rust!!!!!!
No dents!!!!
No faric top!!!
Everything's there

The bad-
No headliner
Hog of a 455 motor
No AC pump or condensor
Front seats flat
Loose windows
Rotten weatherstripping

picture128.jpg

picture126.jpg

picture116.jpg

picture117.jpg

picture127.jpg

picture120.jpg

picture121.jpg

Not a fan of the door panels
picture123.jpg

Needs a headliner
picture125.jpg

picture124.jpg

Why yellow??? I don't know!
picture118.jpg

picture119.jpg

That has to be the first time I ever saw a 455 in the BAD column (even a yellow one)!

Times they are a changing.

You should be able to get a good deal trading it for a small block , Olds or otherwise.

What are you trying to do with the car?

Im trying to build a daily driver honestly. Might try to keep it off the extremely salty roads as much as I can in the winter. Won't ever bring it to the track or anything but I'd like it to be sporty with decent fuel milage.

Kinda wanting to put a center council in it along with a rear wing and some trans am snowflake rims for the visual stuff. GNX weels are WAY to pricey unless I find a great deal on GTA wheels.

well you should be able to get a decent olds 350 to drop in there. although the 307 looks appealing for price i think the 350 would still help you more in the end

keep mentioning this..............wrong grills for 81

why does every one put 86 grills on every cutlass?

peace

Those grilles were used in '81, as well as being re-used in '86.
There were two styles available between the Cutlass Supreme and Cutlass Calais in the '81 model year, if I recall correctly.

The 350 as a motor sounds good to me. Does anyone know the difference in fuel milage between a 350 or 307?

Blake442- I'd love to keep the 455 but It probably gets about 2mpg :lol: I'm about 60 miles south of Morhead.

81cutlass said:
The 350 as a motor sounds good to me. Does anyone know the difference in fuel milage between a 350 or 307?

Blake442- I'd love to keep the 455 but It probably gets about 2mpg :lol: I'm about 60 miles south of Morhead.

It really depends on how the engine is built. I really dont think its that hard to get 18+ mpg out of a 350 with a q-jet and a 200R-4 trans and still make decent power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor