My other project....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
My uncles and I decided we should carry on the family tradition of restoring old cars. We began with the idea of getting and restoring a british sports car...a 1959 Triumph TR3A. The seller of the car had lots of other stuff and we ended up buying his whole collection, most of which is rusted and pratically unrestorable. Our plan was to restore one car, use other cars as parts cars, and sell a lot of parts to pay for it. Then the bottom dropped out in 2008. Since then, we pretty much concentrated on the TR3 only...leaving the other 7 cars alone. Since the TR3 had a good frame, body, and plenty of parts...it was the best candidate for restoring.
heres the frame with the rebuilt engine installed...at the shop

TR3_motor_install_001.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

This is what we intend to end up with when we are done...only it will be British Racing Green instead of Lipstick Red....

tr32.jpg

We are entering our 6th year of this project....and its time for us to drop the body on the frame and start on the interior and paint. Really cool thing about these cars are their simple, yet efficient designs. Light weight, stiff suspension, and adequate power/weight ratio makes them a real blast to drive on a curvy road. With upgrades like bigger pistons, rack and pinion steering, posi rears and wider tire set ups...they are very quick for 4cyl powerplants. Our goal is to finish the car in the next 6-9 months, and take it to VIR in Danville VA for a track day and car show. We will be lucky if we can get what we spent in the restoration should we decide to sell it. But the experience of driving it after such a long restoration process will be priceless....Will post more pics later.....

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sweet. My dad, uncle and all their high school buddies were into the Euro stuff. There was an Alfa, a Fiat, my uncle had a TR6, my dad had a TR4 (with a 289) and later my parents got a Spitfire They actually had to get rid of it when I came along :) . Later when my brother and I got older my dad bought my mom another one. There was an '80 and a '72 in the garage when I was 15 but for some reason they were up for sale right about the time I got my license. Fun cars.

Is the entire collection TR3 or is there other stuff. Let's see some more pics!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
We bought 7 cars altogether. 2 MGA coupes, 2 MGA roadsters, a MG Midget, and two TR3's ... the other TR is just a shell and a rotted frame, but we used some parts off of it. The MGA's are pretty far gone with rust and other issues. My two uncles own the MGA's.... and they may try to restore them at some point, but its doubtful. The Midget has some potential, at least as a spec racer, or as a platform for a Bug Eye conversion.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Nice, my aunt collects mg midgets (and similar), lol, I think she may be up to about 10 total now, only a couple are drivers though. My uncle has been in process of restoring her bug eye for a quite a few years now.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Oldsmoletick said:
Nice, my aunt collects mg midgets (and similar), lol, I think she may be up to about 10 total now, only a couple are drivers though. My uncle has been in process of restoring her bug eye for a quite a few years now.
Thanks....I hear they make a bug eye body kit for the midget...which gives a bit more leg room to the car, from what Ive been told...and they look very similar to the real car. I really think we ought to gut it, put a roll bar in it, mod the motor, add some suspension upgrades and race it in the vintage class... :mrgreen:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If the Midget isn't going to be a "resto" and originality isn't a priority, I'd recommend a Datsun A-series engine. They are cheap, reliable, light, have great power potential and a 5-speed. If you were doing a Rivergate conversion you'd be looking for that transmission anyway and the Datsun engine probably costs less than the Rivergate kit alone. I can't stress how tough these engines are. My B110 probably weighs about the same or slightly more than a Midget and it scoots out pretty good with an A15 and a 5-speed. The A series engine was produced for almost 40 years worldwide so there is tremendous availability and a wide variety if speed parts. Tons of info here:
http://datsun1200.com/modules/news/
...there's always the rotary too :D .

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
DRIVEN said:
If the Midget isn't going to be a "resto" and originality isn't a priority, I'd recommend a Datsun A-series engine. They are cheap, reliable, light, have great power potential and a 5-speed. If you were doing a Rivergate conversion you'd be looking for that transmission anyway and the Datsun engine probably costs less than the Rivergate kit alone. I can't stress how tough these engines are. My B110 probably weighs about the same or slightly more than a Midget and it scoots out pretty good with an A15 and a 5-speed. The A series engine was produced for almost 40 years worldwide so there is tremendous availability and a wide variety if speed parts. Tons of info here:
http://datsun1200.com/modules/news/
...there's always the rotary too :D .
Thats definately food for thought. I love the rotary engine swap ideas. We are also thinking about the miata motor/trans in the MGA's or the DOHC Nissan motor/trans swap from a 240sx or an Altima....Datsuns are hard to beat! I have seen MGA's with V-8's (289's or 302's) but the frame has to be cut quite a bit for that. But that would make a heck of a ride...all that power and so little weight...wow.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm glad you decided to stay stock on the MGA. Too classy for a modern engine in my opinion. I think a rotary makes sense in the Midget since it still has a vintage feel. The Miata powerplant is also a great swap option. This might be a little inspirational. Really long but it makes you think:
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446- ... op-secret/
I don't know if a SR20 of KA24 would fit very easily. I think they're overrated anyway. A CA18DET, on the other hand, would be sexxxy. It's basically a 4 cyl version of the famous Skyline RB engine. They were rated at 173hp but have been documented at 350hp without touching the longblock.
ca18newbg3.jpg

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Cool thread! There's a lot of choices here! I haven't even touched the Alpine yet.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Ringers said:
Cool thread! There's a lot of choices here! I haven't even touched the Alpine yet.
I love the Sunbeams.....such a clean, well made car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor