My rpm idle around 2500-3000 whats wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
I can't just let it be. i'm just that anal about things need them to be precise. Will get the problem worked out thx for your incite.

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Black Rose said:
I can't just let it be. i'm just that anal about things need them to be precise. Will get the problem worked out thx for your incite.
Same way here, It bugs the hell out of me, but until I can find someone to recalibrate it, atleast I know I'am not doing
the engine any harm. Maybe one of our memebers could do it for us :idea: hopefully someone wiil chime in. 85 olds what you do you think.
Gbarrie.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
Gbarrie said:
Black Rose said:
Same way here, It bugs the hell out of me, but until I can find someone to recalibrate it, atleast I know I'am not doing
the engine any harm. Maybe one of our memebers could do it for us :idea: hopefully someone wiil chime in. 85 olds what you do you think.
Gbarrie.

Who do you get to recalibrate it a electrician right? i hope it that simple of a task if not just gonna replace the engine.
wanna put a 350 olds and get rid of the 307 but if i can find someone to modify the 307 and add some pony's to it ill keep it like that.
really don't want to upgrade because i wanna keep it as stock as possible everything on the the car is 1986 stock to the floor everything.You have a 85 supreme? with the same problem...how do you add pics to a post? i am new to all this some incite would help.

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
I had the exact same problem on my car that would be idling @ 2000rpm and would drop down after I gave it a couple of gas. now the problem is fixed.......but the rpm tach doesn't work though haha.

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Black Rose said:
Gbarrie said:
Black Rose said:
Gbarrie.

Who do you get to recalibrate it a electrician right? i hope it that simple of a task if not just gonna replace the engine.
wanna put a 350 olds and get rid of the 307 but if i can find someone to modify the 307 and add some pony's to it ill keep it like that.
really don't want to upgrade because i wanna keep it as stock as possible everything on the the car is 1986 stock to the floor everything.You have a 85 supreme? with the same problem...how do you add pics to a post? i am new to all this some incite would help.
No I have an 86 Pontiac GP, V8 305 COMPLETLY STOCK FACTORY ORIGINAL.
Gbarrie.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Like the above post said it is likely the "V6-V8" selector on the back of the tach, my car was the same way when I bought it, the pictures show the plastic tab that broke allowing the spring plate to lose contact, the default for the tach is V6 mode do it reads high on a V8. I just soldered a wire across the center tab and the V8 tab, I didn't take the cluster apart so it's a little tricky to get a soldering iron down in the hole but it can be done

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 300

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
Fox80 said:
Like the above post said it is likely the "V6-V8" selector on the back of the tach, my car was the same way when I bought it, the pictures show the plastic tab that broke allowing the spring plate to lose contact, the default for the tach is V6 mode do it reads high on a V8. I just soldered a wire across the center tab and the V8 tab, I didn't take the cluster apart so it's a little tricky to get a soldering iron down in the hole but it can be done

Probability recomend removing the tack if you are not that good of a solderer you don't want any little blobs falling and rolling around,and causing other issues. I just added new solder blobs under where the tabs for the plug sit because on mine they wore down and the wavey plate did not hold tight. Watch out for the little lock hook on the plug it is verry fragile (who would think after being in the car for almost 30 years) (why can't they make parts last forever...lol) good luck and be gentle. If all else fails head to the closest scrap yard and see if you can find a good doaner (no one will see if you do what fox80 did and all of us on this form will keep quiet and say it is still original...lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor