My rpm idle around 2500-3000 whats wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
1) Hello GBF'ers i'm new to this forum thing but i was wondering what is causing this problem
i am having? i just bought a 1986 cutlass supreme salon, car runs good just when it idles, I've noticed it idles around 2500-3000 rpm.
it is bothering to know that it shouldn't be idling this high does anyone know why this is happening. thx

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Does the engine actually sound like its idling that high? If not then its likely a faulty tach. Maybe the jumper in the back of the tach has come loose.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Also, a locked up fan clutch will make it sound like it's revving much higher than it actually is. Have you verified the RPM or ar you just guessing by the sound of it.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
the engine doesn't sound like it revving that high, the tach hovers around 2500-3000 could be tach i will check in the am..when i put the car in drive it drops down a little but in park is the concern press the gas and it bottoms out to 6000. just hoping it not gonna mess up the engine.

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
FE3X CLONE said:
Does the engine actually sound like its idling that high? If not then its likely a faulty tach. Maybe the jumper in the back of the tach has come loose.

Here's some picts of my extra tach set up for v8...move the peg over and I believe it would be for a v6

Attachments

• IMG_00000413.jpg
    IMG_00000413.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 554
  • IMG_00000415.jpg
    IMG_00000415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 566

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Black Rose said:
the engine doesn't sound like it revving that high, the tach hovers around 2500-3000 could be tach i will check in the am..when i put the car in drive it drops down a little but in park is the concern press the gas and it bottoms out to 6000. just hoping it not gonna mess up the engine.
Your tach might need recalibrating, Mine did the same thing on my 86 GP, Problem is I havent found anyone
to recalibrate it.
Gbarrie.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
Gbarrie said:
Black Rose said:
Your tach might need recalibrating, Mine did the same thing on my 86 GP, Problem is I havent found anyone
to recalibrate it.
Gbarrie.

thx for the info how can i get it checked?

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Black Rose said:
Gbarrie said:
Black Rose said:
to recalibrate it.
Gbarrie.

thx for the info how can i get it checked?
My mechanic told me that, same symptons that your having, after spending countless $$$$ on bad shops! finally found a
good one! long as your engine isn't reving maxed out, I would just learn to live with it. again play it by ear/butt. Until you can
find someone to address it.
Gbarrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor