MY th350 trans..wont shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
i just go done with an engne swap...and my tansmission doesnt move....the shift column works....any one have any suggestions to why it might not be working proerly?

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It worked before engine swap, or is it new with the engine??? If it's new with the engine & you put in a new converter, the converter/trans is probably low on oil yet.

Start the engine, letting it idle in neutral, pull the trans dipstick. I'll bet there's no oil on the stick. If so, keep adding oil 'till it's in the full range & then you'll have a working trans.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
also make sure that when you move the column shift it does actually shift at the trans. my cable got weird and it wouldn't move down the gears (p->1) but it would go the other way, but the shift handle and indicator would move.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Yeah I would also bet that it has no trans fluid in it. Pretty sure the converter has to be removed to be filled up tho, just pouring it in the transmission won't completely fill the converter. So if you had the converter off and lost fluid out of it, then you'll more than likely have to remove the converter again and refill it.

I bought a truck when I was 17 and drove it for a month shifting it manually because it wouldn't shift, yeah, it ended up being like 2 quarts low on fluid the whole time.

Most of the time problems like this are easy fixes.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Also make sure the vacuum modulator is hooked up to a sorce of manifold vac

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
that problem is solved it needed fluid...now something s causing the engine or transmision to lack power..

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
sometime when you add fluid to a trans and the level looks good you still need to drive it and add more fluid. i prefer to idle the engine for a mintue, check/add, run through the gears in the driveway (forward 10-20ft, back to start), ckeck add fluid, then drive a mile or 2, check/add, then check it a few days later. annoying but i've found it necessary on some cars.
does it shift properly or late?
does it bog when you hit the gas or it just moves slow?

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
it accelarates slow .....and i filled up the trans. to correct level...and drove the car for about 20 minutes....

455OLDSMAN

Apprentice
Nov 8, 2007
What do you mean it accelerates slow?? Feel like the trans is being held back or not shifting properly? Or is it just that the engine lacks the power expected??

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
before the swap- the engine was in a monte....ok...it took off fine ...now it doesnt accelerate like before....it feels like a 4 cylinder engine without a muffler.. the engine still revs up like before.i want to get this over with so i can sell the car....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor