My turbo 5.3 and 4l80e wagon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Haha well I did get the inspiration from yours. There are a couple of things I would have done differently but I'm still happy with it.
My good did get a little toasty the other day but nothing unmanageable. Good thing the paint is crap anyway lol

Oh me too! Cut the flanges off the manifold and weld on clamps would be the best improvement on this setup. My wastegate hangs off the bottom of the merge which looks good but makes changing the springs a chore.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Oh me too! Cut the flanges off the manifold and weld on clamps would be the best improvement on this setup. My wastegate hangs off the bottom of the merge which looks good but makes changing the springs a chore.
I do kind of wish I would have used clamps on the manifolds but honestly my 6 bolt system works surprisingly well lol. I zip off 4 with an impact, the other 2 come off with a ratchet wrench in no time.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Way to go!!!! Haven't been on much, but great progress.

It looks like your cac pipes at the cac are not straight at the couplers. Try to avoid this because you wile stressing the heck out of the hoses as the boost gets higher. The boost will try to move the pipes because the hoses will try to straighten - ask me how I know. But, it's really not much of an issue of you intend only local driving or short trips to the track, and have extra hoses kicking around. The straighter all of those connections are, then the more reliable they will be.

If those hoses, 3" from the looks, become problematic, then you can find replacements at the local Mack dealer that are designed for hundreds of thousands of miles of use in 30+psi setups. And they have one that is long enough that it can be cut into two pieces and used for two seperate connections.

How long before some tuning gets done?

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Way to go!!!! Haven't been on much, but great progress.

It looks like your cac pipes at the cac are not straight at the couplers. Try to avoid this because you wile stressing the heck out of the hoses as the boost gets higher. The boost will try to move the pipes because the hoses will try to straighten - ask me how I know. But, it's really not much of an issue of you intend only local driving or short trips to the track, and have extra hoses kicking around. The straighter all of those connections are, then the more reliable they will be.

If those hoses, 3" from the looks, become problematic, then you can find replacements at the local Mack dealer that are designed for hundreds of thousands of miles of use in 30+psi setups. And they have one that is long enough that it can be cut into two pieces and used for two seperate connections.

How long before some tuning gets done?
Thank you for the tip on the piping! I didn't even think about trying a semi place for charge air stuff. As a matter of fact, I did blow that coupler off the other day. So I'm for sure going to need to do something different. Worst comes to worst I can always use the hairspray trick lol

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Breeze clamps and getting the hose routed correctly will resolve the issue. Hair spray, even though it may work, may only work once if it keeps some of the hose stuck to the pipe.

I can get you the art numbers if you would like. The Breeze clamps are second to none IMO and are dirt cheap. They are a bit bulky, but will withstand 40+ psi all day everyday.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Breeze clamps getting the hose routed correctly will resolve the issue. Hair spray, even toug it may work, may only work once if it keeps some of the hose stuck to the pipe. Let me know if you want part numbers.

I can get you the art numbers if you would like. The Breeze clamps are scond to none IMO and are dirt cheap. They are a bit bulky, but will withstand 40+ psi all day everyday.
That would be great! As long as they are around the same price or cheaper than the ones I have already!

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Well she's running and driving! Slowly getting the tune worked out. Idle and cruising are solid, coming up on boost is another story lol. I'm getting there though. And learning as I go.

On another note, I love being a fellow hot rodder. Between the help I've received on here, other pages and people in my home town, it's really humbling how much we look out for one another.
A guy I work with, noticed my wagon the first time I drove it to work. Neither one of us had any idea the other was a hot rodder. We got to talking and he mentions that he has a set of wheels and tires on a project that he thinks would look great on mine. That he was getting new ones and wanted his old ones to go to someone who needed them. When he found out about my project, he knew exactly where they needed to go. And he gave me a ridiculously good deal on them. I had originally planned on just running my steelies or maybe some Cragar Soft 8s. But I couldn't pass up his offer and am really glad I didn't. I think they really go with the car well and I've been dreaming of different wheels for this car since I was a kid. Thanks to a fellow hot rodder who was wanting to help out another.
Sorry to get all soft. But it's been a really humbling experience.
Here's a few pics of the wheels on the far, a few of the engine bay and even one with my ugly mug in it lol.

Attachments

• 20180411_145219.jpg
    20180411_145219.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 231
  • 20180411_145231.jpg
    20180411_145231.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 258
  • 20180411_145310.jpg
    20180411_145310.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 231
  • 20180410_185938.jpg
    20180410_185938.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 235
  • 20180410_185945.jpg
    20180410_185945.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 260
  • FB_IMG_1523567062286.jpg
    FB_IMG_1523567062286.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wheels and 'bad/in need of paint' patina looks better than great! The factory hood creates the ultimate sleeper. I really love it.

Whats wrong with the tune in boost? If it's out of whack, then stay out of it until you can get it straightened out. How are datalogging?

• Friendly
Reactions: 2 users

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Wheels and 'bad/in need of paint' patina looks better than great! The factory hood creates the ultimate sleeper. I really love it.

Whats wrong with the tune in boost? If it's out of whack, then stay out of it until you can get it straightened out. How are datalogging?
Thanks! I used to not like the patina when I was younger because I was always so afraid of being judged in it. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. Especially with the wheels. Its perfect in my eyes.

It's not far off tune wise. Trust me, I've been glued to that Wideband gauge lol. It actually has a spot at about 3k where it goes WAY rich. Like 9 to 1 and starts coughing. And it just so happens that's right at atmosphere (100ish kpa). So I just need to to go in and pull a little fuel at that RPM and Kpa. Just haven't had the chance yet.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You could pull 10% fuel for sure, and probably a couple of times lol. And until you get it dialed in, keep the timing waaay safe in boost. Drop 2-3 degrees more than you know will be ok. I've wasted too much time trying to tune the 2-8 psi timing numbers before I added 2 + 2 to figure out that it really doesn't matter what those numbers are as long as it doesn't detonate there because when your foot's in it, you are never in that area of boost under load - especially with an auto.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor