My turbo 5.3 and 4l80e wagon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Very cool build.

If you need boosted LS advice we have a bunch of experienced folks here. Doing a budget TT 5.3L myself.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
No worries, my build thread is 72 pages deep so far lol! I have family that know I eat, sleep and breathe Cutlass. I come from a gearhead family, hell my mom used to drag race a big block Chevelle when she lived in Chicago.

Here is a couple pics of mine. '87 Cutlass that has been through a ton of metalwork and subtle body mods. As mentioned, I just brought it home from paint yesterday.... View attachment 80947 View attachment 80948

The 5.3 I'm working on. Freshly rebuilt stock bottom end, 862 heads with BTR springs, trunnion upgrade to handle the Tick stage 1 boost cam, Holley Mid Rise intake, etc. View attachment 80949

Also, if your interested I do have an elusive stock truck intake cover if you wanna cover up the intake. Just PM me.

Scott
Gorgeous car Injectedcutty! I hope to one day get around to at least repainting mine.

And good job not spending alot of money on the bottom end! LS engines have ridiculously strong bottom ends.
I'll be running PAC 1218 springs with an Elgin 228/230 @.50 575 lift cam.
I'm still up in the air about the cover. I want one but I'd like to grind off the Vortec and have a custom vinyl decal made to replace it.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Hey, no need to apologize. Our sign in names do deviate a little...no big deal. Instead of me calling you longroof and you calling me longroof, we can call each other by first name...how about that?
At any rate, it's good having you aboard. I'm really impressed on how you're progressing on this project.
That works for me! But you're the original Longroof, so you should be able to keep going by that. And we'll just call me by name Joe.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Love the wagon. I'm looking for Cutlass Cruiser to do the same, just with a TH400.

Are you mounting the turbo on the frame? If not, then I'd strongly recommend it - bracing to the engine and weight on the manifolds will lead to avoidable issues and ber much easier to work on. Is that GT45?
Yes it is a GT45, from VSracing. I just set the turbo there for the fun of it but it will be in that same area. I plan on building support braces for it that will probably mount to the frame.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That works for me! But you're the original Longroof, so you should be able to keep going by that. And we'll just call me by name Joe.
It's a pleasure meeting you, Joe. My name is Jack and I wouldn't be offended if you call me Jack. :p

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Gorgeous car Injectedcutty! I hope to one day get around to at least repainting mine.

And good job not spending alot of money on the bottom end! LS engines have ridiculously strong bottom ends.
I'll be running PAC 1218 springs with an Elgin 228/230 @.50 575 lift cam.
I'm still up in the air about the cover. I want one but I'd like to grind off the Vortec and have a custom vinyl decal made to replace it.
Thanks Joe, it's been a long road to get it to this point! The body off resto started in December of 2011.

The specs on the cam I'm running is 215/219 @.050, .613/.590 lift. It's designed for the 4.8/5.3's and shipped direct from Cam Motion.

I'm shooting for 550hp on low boost(I'll be running twin 66's) until I get used to the boost, then I will crank it up lol!

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Very cool build.

If you need boosted LS advice we have a bunch of experienced folks here. Doing a budget TT 5.3L myself.
I'm sure I will definitely need some advice when the time comes! Thanks for your advice on that!

82_wagon

Apprentice
Mar 9, 2017
This looks like its going to be a great build thread, I'll be following along on this one. My first car was also my wagon that I bought when I was 16. I've been looking into the turbo Ls stuff and i think I'm going to jump into the ls world, I just don't know anything about them lol.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
This looks like its going to be a great build thread, I'll be following along on this one. My first car was also my wagon that I bought when I was 16. I've been looking into the turbo Ls stuff and i think I'm going to jump into the ls world, I just don't know anything about them lol.
Not to hijack Joe's thread, but I didn't know squat about the LS platform before I started hunting for one other than GM has produced millions of them.
I jumped in feet first, started doing a ton of research, asking questions here, etc. I've had my 5.3 for almost a year already and I know WAY more now than I did.
Use the LS swap pages, ask for help if need be. That's why this is the best forum on the web....everyone is willing to help others.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor