Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Is this going in a Firebird?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 3.08 rear end now, it works nice but you have alot more torque than I have and I got no problem to loose some rubber when I want to. Your 455 has pleanty more torque than I have so you son't be long in that fist gear but your 2nd gear and 3rd gear will be long gears. I have a .73 5th conpared to your .78 4th and when I'm at 75 mph I'm revving 18.5 so you should be somewhat close to that

Nov 4, 2012
Not trying to hack the thread but Mark, being that you are a Pontiac guy from New York, have you ever dealt with Nunzi?

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jared- yes, the 455 is in a 1968 Firebird convertible right now. I got it running well enough to move it around under it's own power. Although I am tempted to use it in my Bonnewagon. It would be a slip-in with only floor modification to fit the shifter. The overdrive would make distance driving more tolerable. The 455 would make boat towing a cinch. I am thinking this because I am far from ready with the Firebird and the wagon could use some more power. I just don't want to have to source an 8.5" rear just for the 455. I have several engines I could use in the Firebird including a 1968 RA/HO w/4bolt mains and a Turbo 301. Joe- yes I have met him several times at swap meets and his shops. I once sat on the tailgate of my wagon BS'ing with Nunzi at his current shop in Brooklyn about my buddy's 1977 Trans Am. He had Nunzi do his heads and to this day they are performing great. I don't know how hands-on he is anymore or if his son is doing the work. I know his son was driving the race car last time we saw them at Englishtown.

Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
That's awesome Mark. I've never had the opportunity to meet him, but from everything I've heard he's a really cool guy. My cousins that lived Brooklyn lived literally 5 minutes away from his shop on New Utrecht Ave.

He was on this magazine cover back in 1974, and the blue GTO on the left belonged to my neighbor, also a guy from Brooklyn. My neighbor still owns the car to this day and it's still looks exactly the same. He takes it to cruise nights in the summers. Small world!

Screenshot_20191101-123903~2.png

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared- yes, the 455 is in a 1968 Firebird convertible right now. I got it running well enough to move it around under it's own power. Although I am tempted to use it in my Bonnewagon. It would be a slip-in with only floor modification to fit the shifter. The overdrive would make distance driving more tolerable. The 455 would make boat towing a cinch. I am thinking this because I am far from ready with the Firebird and the wagon could use some more power. I just don't want to have to source an 8.5" rear just for the 455. I have several engines I could use in the Firebird including a 1968 RA/HO w/4bolt mains and a Turbo 301. Joe- yes I have met him several times at swap meets and his shops. I once sat on the tailgate of my wagon BS'ing with Nunzi at his current shop in Brooklyn about my buddy's 1977 Trans Am. He had Nunzi do his heads and to this day they are performing great. I don't know how hands-on he is anymore or if his son is doing the work. I know his son was driving the race car last time we saw them at Englishtown.
It sounds like it will be a fun combination in which ever car you put it in.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Small world!
Yes it is. If I told you how many relatives I have in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas you would think we were invading you. My Dad grew up in Versailles (McKeesport?) and his brother George owned Blaho's Esso (Exxon) on Walnut and Linden. My cousin Scott has it now. But Nunzi is a total Pontiac guru. He was experimenting with stuff we take for granted nowadays. And he is real people. The kind of guy you would want to share a beer with and talk Pontiac.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Yes it is. If I told you how many relatives I have in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas you would think we were invading you. My Dad grew up in Versailles (McKeesport?) and his brother George owned Blaho's Esso (Exxon) on Walnut and Linden. My cousin Scott has it now. But Nunzi is a total Pontiac guru. He was experimenting with stuff we take for granted nowadays. And he is real people. The kind of guy you would want to share a beer with and talk Pontiac.

McKeesport is on the other side of town from me but it's close enough. The whole Mon valley is old steel mill stuff.

I've never had the chance to meet Nunzi but I'd love to be able to at some point. Old Pontiacs were the first cars I was really interested in. Pre-1967 stuff. Firebirds were never really my thing but I'll drool all over a GTO or a Bonneville. Now that they don't do drag racing at Englishtown where are people racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor