need a rear brake diagram for 8.5"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDUNIGAN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2011
I am looking for a picture (diagram) of the rear drum assembly of a 8.5" gm that came off a buick grand national. I can not for the life of me figure out how to put the brakes on. I bought a rear end with no brakes and I am having loads of troubles... any help is appreciated.
CD

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
CDUNIGAN said:
I am looking for a picture (diagram) of the rear drum assembly of a 8.5" gm that came off a buick grand national. I can not for the life of me figure out how to put the brakes on. I bought a rear end with no brakes and I am having loads of troubles... any help is appreciated.
CD
GM drum brakes are the same for any rear end, not 8.5 specific. Any diagram from a rear wheel drive Gm should do. this diagram is from an S10, there is a few differences from this to what you have.

Attachments

• drum brake schematic.jpg
    drum brake schematic.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 40,090

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Here is a diagram of what the brakes should look like.

Attachments

• brake diagram.gif
    brake diagram.gif
    61.8 KB · Views: 15,725

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Here's another one!

Attachments

• brake_drum_parts.gif
    brake_drum_parts.gif
    29.8 KB · Views: 19,000

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Just remember that the star adjuster points toward the rear of the car. Other than that its pretty simple with the right tools.

CDUNIGAN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2011
Nice. Thanks Everyone... so close to getting this thing back out on the road. Just installed a Grand National 8.5... fn brakes man! unbelieveable they had me so pissed! All that heavy metal from transmission back replaced only to have a couple .5cent springs send my head spinnin like a top!! Man. thanks internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor