Need Help! 400 SBC Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I know exactly what you mean. Trying to explain this to a few attorneys offices today was exhausting.

The good thing for me is I looked him up on Maryland Case Search. In Maryland any legal proceeding is public information. I found a case where he had to pay a client almost $20,000! I got the attorneys name that won the case against him. The attorney will be familiar with him and how are you operates.

I’m definitely going to make an appointment and see if I have a case at least.
Well that's cool, hopefully since he knows the guy, just hiring him and having him in contact with the guy might be enough to scare him into being fair with you. There's no way a basic small block rebuild should ever cost that much. Unless you bought a lot of expensive forged or billet internal parts.

Planning an engine build relatively soon, going to be asking around to find out who is honest and really knows what they're doing. I'm not expecting it to be cheap, but I'll be pretty annoyed if it runs that high. Unless I get an aftermarket block, then I know it'll be more than that.

Reactions: 1 user

spicercars

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2019
Saginaw MN
I built a 400 a couple of years ago for the Diablo. Had the local machine shop do all the machine work and drill steam holes and I had about 2k into everything. That's with them putting the lower together and then I finished it from there. It was bored 30 over with flat tops and line bored. New cam bearings and frost plugs. I cant say that the price your paying is a lot because I don't know what your having done. It is horrible to be taken advantage of. Good luck.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I kinda get the feeling you handed him the car keys and expect to pick up the car done - lots of labor involved with that. You are seeking advice which is good but watch out in that profession also.
You never mentioned exactly what was being done to the engine or what aftermarket heads where being used. What parts did he re-use from the previous engine?? As 565 said I have drilled my own heads it's no big thing. I have also run w/o steam holes but my application is more racing. Lessons learned here by you and our members.(Needs to be in writing). Only thing I might suggested is for your builder to put it in writing that he acknowledges he didn't install steam holes and guarantees it's not going to over heat. There is a good chance you won't have any problems esp if you have alu heads.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm truly surprised that this clown is still in business given his shady history of being a con artist.
These are the type of people that eventually end up in a dumpster somewhere.

I like the idea of you consulting with the lawyer that is familiar with this guy. Perhaps he might want to settle out of court if he knows he's up against the same lawyer. Good luck! No one deserves to be hosed like this.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I didnt even spend 6000 on my sbb I built myself. Cough cough 250$ balancer cough.
He's been screwing you good. You're the customer, you have the final say. Keep all the receipts in case the engine explodes, show to appropriate attorney.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
That sucks, man..

Way too much.

Always get everything in writing.

Its either going to be a lesson learned, or end up in court..

-Gonz

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
You CANNOT run a 400 on the street without steam holes. The drilling steam holes in the heads allows the steam to complete the cooling path through the whole engine. Blocking them (or not drilling the holes in heads) will, at the very least, create really bad hot spots inside the engine. Performance will suffer and that lack of heat removal from the heads can cause cracks, burnt vales, pre-detonation, fatigued springs.

The steam holes in the block were put there because the extra bore size of the 400 greatly reduced the area for coolant flow in the engine. The steam holes were a crappy compromise, at best. Not having them is really not a good idea. Your "engine builder" knows that. If he doesn't, he isn't an engine builder.

• Agree
  • Useful

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Blocking them (or not drilling the holes in heads) will, at the very least, create really bad hot spots inside the engine. Performance will suffer and that lack of heat removal from the heads can cause cracks, burnt vales, pre-detonation, fatigued springs.

Something makes me think he knew that, and that's WHY he didn't bother drilling them...

-Gonz

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The steam holes in the block were put there because the extra bore size of the 400 greatly reduced the area for coolant flow in the engine.
Because of the extra bore size GM designed all 400 SBC's with siamesed cylinder walls which can create air pockets in the cooling system because the cylinders share a common wall between them with no coolant flow between them and the steam holes were used to help solve this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor