need help installing a carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
Hey guys i never installed a carpet and i dont know what i have to do, i just bought a new "84 SS Blue" carpet to replace my original carpet in my 84SS. has anyone put a carpet in and can you help me out? lol im a n00b at carpet instalation. thanks again

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I don't know much about it. but I have heard that you should let it sit out in the sun for an afternoon to get the wrinkles out of it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I did mine, I laid it out in the car and just worked it into place. You'll have to make some cuts depending on what you have on the car. I have a 5 speed so it was easy just to remove the shifter to cut out the access hole.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
Unfold it an let it set out awhile, like Phoenix said. That'll make it easier to work with Meantime, take out the seats, seat belts, and anything else that's in the way, pull out the old carpet and set it aside. Keep it handy, it's a nice reference if you need it later on. Now clean up the floor, put in in any sound deadner, fix rust ,etc.

Now you'll need a good cutter - utlity knife or whatever, and maybe a Sharpie or ball point pen for marking. I had a really great pair of scissors that worked best for me. Lay the new carpet in place, starting in the rear. The rear floor part will probably fall right in place, so that's a good place to start. Don't try to put it all in place at once, though, fold the front part up oout of the way to make things easier to move. Stretch it out as best you can, and cut off the extra carpet around the edges as you go - careful, you can cut more, but you can't put it back!

Slice a small X through the carpet wherever you need to put a hole, and then cut it larger once you know it's in the right place. Smaller holes may not need anything besides the X. Another way is to lay the carpet in place and feel for the hole through the carpet with a screwdriver. Then poke the screwdriver through at the right spot Tuck the carpet under the sills and molding as you go, working back to front.

The last part, up under the dash, seemed hardest to me. The carpet will probably have a lot of extra to cut off, and it's hard to figure out exactly how much to cut. But take your time, and it'll come out fine.

Put everything back, and you're done. Enjoy!

hp3445

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Southern New Jersey
I let mine sit out in the sun for a while.. it seemed to be fine.. It fit pretty good without too much cutting.. don't cut too short. I think better to cut later as you put the trim work in.. . I would let it the whole thing sit in there for a few minutes .. and reposition to make sure it will be okay.. don't forget, you have no rear seats, interior panels, or anything like that to really judge the size.. It's not hard .. but it's something you don't wanna mess up.. A hairdryer (not too hot) can help to reshape some of the areas.. It's pretty much a drop in project..84 SS blue carpet should be headache free.. unless you got one of those deals, " one carpet fits all cars. ." Not happening without alota headaches.. lol..
The after market sound deadeners and the liners on the carpets do wonders in keeping heat and extra sound out.. I like mine loud inside.. why??? I only have the carpet liner.. but I cleaned out the surface rust underneath and put some rhino liner on the bottom to prevent some of the rust from coming back..

All the other feedback you got is great info! That is what makes these forum post so valuable!!! Good luck!!

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
You just need a couple of big fat dogs to lay on it to smooth it out. :lol:

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,286

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
tc1959 said:
You just need a couple of big fat dogs to lay on it to smooth it out. :lol:

:rofl:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I'd start at the firewall personally. Let it sit in the sun too. The carpet I got from I think PUI was perfect at the firewall, just needed trimming on the sides and rear. When you are starting to lay the carpet, use a rubber mallet to beat the carpet up and to take shape of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor