Need help laying out my garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff0547

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks, everyone, for the ideas. I found another forum and thread with some more insights. Look here:
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48602

jeff0547

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2009
I am making progress. I have reclaimed some horizontal space. Filled 1 1/2 trash cans. Wife was impressed. :D

Pics:

11-27-09020.jpg

11-27-09022.jpg

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Ok here's what we did,keep in mind our garage is different dimensions than yours.This garage was previously owned by a garbage removal company here in town and he used to store his garbage trucks here,so its pretty tall,nonetheless,two full size 60's cars and a gbody means cramped space.For storage of parts so the garage is tall,we had a 2nd floor added to the garage,for all of our parts,tires and such that were laying around.We have three cars in there now,65 cadillac,64 galaxie and my 86 cutlass,we have two workbenches,one of the passenger side of the galaxie,and one behind my cutlass.We have the toolboxes towards the front of the caddy on the passenger side also.The spray paint and chemicals are one the other side aslong with organized shelves containing hoses,gaskets,never used special tools,nuts,bolts and such.The sandblaster we have is also near the toolboxes right where the galaxie is.
4147958346_176a1cfa37_b.jpg

4147201397_375c14761b_b.jpg

jeff0547

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks for the pics, Chris. I, unfortunately, don't have the ability to go up an extra floor, but I like the idea of tool boxes against the wall. My current garage has two 18' doors against the front wall, robing me of almost 50' of wall space. The new one will have a single door at the 30' end and it will measure 10' wide X 10' tall. I will be left with a lot more wall space. Thanks for your input. :wink:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Since you asked...
I'm fortunate enough to have two shops on my compound. One is a 24X48 that has a homemade paintbooth and is primarily used for body work and car storage. It was on the property when I moved in. The second one (pictured) was built 9 years ago by my dad, my brother, and myself. Doing most of the work ourselves, it cost around 25K including the hoist and lighting. It was originally designed as a 36X48 but because of a quirk in the set-back codes in my county it had to be reduced to 30X36. There is room to store 3 cars plus have a useful work bay. The tall door end has 18' ceiling and a 2-post hoist. There is just enough room to do an engine swap on a Suburban. The right side has loft above for storage. I converted 2/3 of it into a man cave. It's handy during parties if the house gets too crowded. You'll notice deadbolts, motion lights and an absence of windows. Always keep security in mind :? .
001-18.jpg

This is a view standing between the hoist posts...
014.jpg

It really looks more crowded than it is...
026.jpg

Upstairs. My wife's friend painted the skyline mural, the furniture was hand-me-down from my parents, $50 craigslist pool table...
020-1.jpg

I know you said you can't build up but the added square footage is SOOOOO nice! Plus, the open TGIs work good for hanging things like frames and bodies. One rule is constant; you will never have a big enough shop. No matter how big it is - you'll eventually fill it up. I am currently working on "inventory reduction" in both shops. I'm also planning a move in the future and already have plans in mind for my next shop. These are the things I plan to do different or add to this design:
-a separate "clean room" for engine/transmission assembly and storage.
-an outside "mechanical room" to house the compressor, pressure washer, etc.
-a "dirty area" for fabrication, grinding, cutting, welding and steel storage separated by a curtain.
-heating system (preferably waste oil burning).
-running water...or even better, a bathroom!

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
heres my werk space:
l_4f4259d633e54c53ba9ac4739babf56d.jpg

:blam:

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
haha i hope to have a garage next year. heres the start of mine. now theres just a big pile of dirt sitting on the pad waiting to be spread out again. woohoo winter. never got to it before it snowed
normal_garage_start.JPG

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
Has anyone here ever painted thier grage floor? I'm considering the stuff Behr makes. I have a 25x30 attached garage on my house. Garage is 10 years old and the house 100 years old. It's a 2 "and a half" car garage. There is a trap door and a clothes washer and drayer along the house side of the garage wall. Looking to ditch the ceiling mount heater for a ventlees wall mount.

One word of advice to everyone, you are NEVER done cleaning up/de-clutering the garage. Consider this a continuous effort. I'm starting to use my basement for storage of some items (cars parts, some building supplies, etc). Tossed out 4 bags of garbage last week.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Those ventless wall mount heaters are awesome!

What are the dimensions of your garage and dimensions of any toolboxes or benches that will be in your garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor