need help quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

82 EL CO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2007
when driving my 82 elco it does fine in town but when i get out on the freeway it cuts out, wont shift out of second, backfires, sounds like it isnt getting any gas and runs flat out horrible. does any one kno what this could be ? my other car is in the shop so i need this so can any one help me ? thanks

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you tromp on it will it crap out or do you have to be at speed?

82 EL CO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2007
if i stomp on it i does it only at high speeds and when its cold but just givin a little gas it does all that stuff too

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'm not 100% sure but it sounds like a fuel delivery problem, possibly a lack of ignition advance. detach the fuel line at the carb and put a hose over it and run it to a clear container. crank the car over for 30 or 60 sec and measure the amount of fuel. i believe you want 100-130 gallons per hour. if you have a fuel pressure gauge you want 6psi. also check the distributor advance mechanism and make sure it can move.

just thought of this: check for a bad vacuum line to the distributor or other bad vac lines.

jonessmc87

Apprentice
Oct 25, 2007
Old Saybrook, CT
when i had the original 305 in my monte, the fuel filter on the quadrajet swelled up and kinda folded in on itself, and blocked fuel, and it kinda had the same symptoms as you're describing. just a thought

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
almost sounds like your choke is staying shut... first things first...check your fuel filter...check your choke...make sure it works... make sure your EGR valve isnt sticking open...ive seen it...then check the next best thing. plugs and wires... then look under the dist. cap...make sure the rotor is not roached....and the cap is cracked and fried..

im willing to bet its a simple issue...

82 EL CO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2007
it has a brand new fuel filter in the carb if i have a rubber fuel line from the pump to the carb would that cause it?

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
I'm not too sure on the rubber fueld line, but is your in-line fuel filter good? Thats a big thing many people overlook and its a quick fix

SBCMALIBUMAN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 7, 2008
Colorado
Possibly flat cam or bad fuel pump? IDK

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If all of that fails, you may have a clogged "sock" on the end of the fuel tank's pickup tube. This is rare, but it can happen if you get a load of bad gas or have rust and scale on the inside of the tank. This is most prevalent on cars that have sat for long periods of time (think years) without any use and are then reanimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor