Need help to I.D. If i have a series 2 or series 3 center carrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyfanaddict

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2014
So i bought a posi unit off a guy at a swap meet the other day for a 7.5" 10 bolt and i had no idea there were two different carriers and now i dont know which one i have. It did notcome with a ring gear So the old "if its this ratio or less than its this one blah blah blah". So that wont work. How else can i tell?

I also heard that if its a chevy part it will work in my 78 malibu rear but if its a buick olds pontiac part it will not??? Any truth to that? And i have NO CLUE what it actually came out of.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
All the GM 7.5 carriers will fit. The right way is to check the unit's part# and see what it is. There are different carriers and they each position the ring gear in a different plane relative to the pinion gear. Some ring and pinion sets can be had that use the wrong carrier. The guy "should" have had the carrier marked or at least told you what it was. Hint: never say "is this a so-and-so" because it's too easy for them to just say YES and you are screwed if it isn't. Always let the seller describe what it is, but he could still be lying.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I cant hit it on the bulls eye but whoever told you it could not fit on any other than a chevy is refering to the older rears from the 60's and early 70's where B.O.P. where different from chevys but after 71ish that all changed and every diff made from gm was interchangeable according to the body style of course.

Chevyfanaddict

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2014
Just found some helpful info on this and im just gonna pass it along and post it here in case anyone else needs to know.

Set the carrier on a flat surface with the teeth of the ring gear or the flange where the ring gear bolts onto facing up, then measure from the surface to the bottom of the ring gear or the top of the flange

2 series = 1 11/16"

3 series = 1 15/16"

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
FWIW, what you have is an Eaton Gov Loc. I don't have any personal bad experience with them but don't be surprised if you hear some negative comments associated with them. Enjoy!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yup, that's a guv-lock. It is a part-time posi that needs one wheel to spin enough so the centrifugal weight "locks" the gears. It will engage with a THUMP and you will know it. It really is great for mud and snow but is not intended for racing or brutal abuse. As for strength, I used one behind a Pontiac 400 w/3:23 gears and had no trouble at all. It sure got me out of a lot of winter situations. As I said before, check out Richmond Gears, they make ring and pinion sets that will work with the "wrong" carrier. Are you handy at setting up rear gears? You cannot just swap them around without the proper tools and procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor