Need help very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Lest I forget, for the TH400 there were some versions have an arrangement where the throttle lever activated the kickdown switch at full throttle doing the same thing as the gas pedal switch on the A-bodies. I think some of the pickup trucks did and some Buicks.

TimothyOnTop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
402 what? Big block? Then you may be moving up to a TH400 maybe. Depends on what's inside that TH350. Obviously they didn't do a very good job of finishing off hooking up the kickdown cable to the carb. Good thing about the TH400 is the kickdown is electrically controlled so it doesn't matter if you use a carb or

402 what? Big block? Then you may be moving up to a TH400 maybe. Depends on what's inside that TH350. Obviously they didn't do a very good job of finishing off hooking up the kickdown cable to the carb. Good thing about the TH400 is the kickdown is electrically controlled so it doesn't matter if you use a carb or not.

402 what? Big block? Then you may be moving up to a TH400 maybe. Depends on what's inside that TH350. Obviously they didn't do a very good job of finishing off hooking up the kickdown cable to the carb. Good thing about the TH400 is the kickdown is electrically controlled so it doesn't matter if you use a carb or not.
I meant a 403 not a 402. I think they originally had the kickdown connected it's attached to the transmission and runs up to the throttle cable bracket the line is broke off at that point. Not sure what would cause a cable to break like that? I crawled under the car the hard line from transmission looks like it is chrome I can see on the chrome line it says lokar? I think it might be the part number but not sure I'm going to see if I can find anything online about it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Lokar? Probably the diptstick and tube? I wasn't aware of them making a kickdown cable. But then again, I don't dabble in much aftermarket stuff to pay attention half the time.

It's been about 30 years since I've even HAD a car with a TH350 in it, so I'd have to take the way-back machine to even try to remember how to lean on my personal experience with these kickdown cables.

Ok. After a little checking, apparently, they do, but for a pretty pricey sum of around 130 bucks. And also can get them with braided covering for the cable sheath. You can get a half-dozen regular kickdown cables for that much. Unless you gotta have bling, get the regular. Nobody will hardly see it anyway. But, unfortunately, there's no factory application for your car because if it's the stock 17085282 carburetor, it has a spot for the TV cable plastic teardrop connector, but not an Olds kickdown cable. I don't think.

Unfortunately, not having experience at mixing and matching TH350 with TH200Cs, you'd be ahead if you could find something to fit this little stud in the pic below. Assuming your carburetor is original. You may be able to find a bracket somewhere that has provision for the kickdown cable. Factory one has a detent cable provision, but not sure if it's in the correct place or size for a kickdown cable. Maybe if your cable was adjustable. I don't know. Involves a bit more digging.

1675598337308.png

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
We swapped a 200C with a TH250/350 anytime one came in the shop with any issues, including leaks. I have used those universal TV cables, they work OK. I had a good TH250C with high miles lose first gear the first time behind a mild 403. A 350 doesn't have that band adjustment stud, which sounds like you have. It is a unique, more expensive converter for the TH350C, if you have one. Also consider the Yukon replacement spider gears in that 7.5". The factory ones are soft, my 403 blew them in many pieces. Of course the factory 2.14 gears are stupid tall, hopefully it has the optional 2.56. Good luck.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ah...digging around I found some good news. I think.

25508264 is the cable GM part number for a 1981 A-body (G-body) with 307 with an MX2 (TH350C) or M31 (TH350) transmission. It's coded "BK" (little decal on the sheath). What the actual difference is between the TV cable that the 200C and 200-4R uses, I don't know.

These 1981 A/G 307 cars came with a 17081253 carburetor. Picture of the linkage below. Blue arrow shows it should match up nicely with your 85 carb (assuming yours is original to the car) :

1675600632526.png

Now, with that, we already KNOW for a fact that your 85 did not come with the TH350 transmission. But you could get one in 1981. Since the connection point (and the entire carb itself) appears to be almost a duplicate of the 85 carb, it appears the linkage to the carb issue is solved. And the "correct" GM transmission cable part number has been found.

We just have to figure out if you have the original 1985 throttle cable bracket with the transmission control bracket on it is the same as the 1981 version.

And we're in luck there as well. It appears ALL 307 Q-jet A/G-body cars in 1980-88 use the same bracket, GM p/n 22504927. Again, assuming everything is stock in that department.

Now, it ALL gets thrown out the window if you have an Edelbrock AVS or whatever carb on it. Once that happens, I'm done and out because those carbs are, IMO, utter trash and belong in the garbage can and I have no idea about their linkage setup. I don't even want to know.

To summarize, assuming everything else being GM original carb and brackets and junk, the correct detent cable needed is GM 25508264.

If your carb and throttle bracket for your car is original, for around $40, you can get a new, correct, GM detent cable that will fit and function to your door. From Vintage Parts. They supply GM dealerships with obsolete GM stuff. I've used them dozens of times without issue.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
The button you show with blue arrow will work with the kick down. Back in h.s. I used to make those putting a 1/4 bolt in a 3/8 drill chuck using a metal file.

Edelbrock and Holley have the geometry corrector parts you add to the linkage once you know what you have, or you can just make what you need.

But now we know why the cable probably wasn't hooked up. Either the previous owner or mechanic couldn't figure it out or they got a cable that was wrong length. I guess most probable is that it was on the trans when they swapped out the 200C, and couldn't figure how to hook up.

TimothyOnTop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
We swapped a 200C with a TH250/350 anytime one came in the shop with any issues, including leaks. I have used those universal TV cables, they work OK. I had a good TH250C with high miles lose first gear the first time behind a mild 403. A 350 doesn't have that band adjustment stud, which sounds like you have. It is a unique, more expensive converter for the TH350C, if you have one. Also consider the Yukon replacement spider gears in that 7.5". The factory ones are soft, my 403 blew them in many pieces. Of course the factory 2.14 gears are stupid tall, hopefully it has the optional 2.56. Good luck.
Thank you for the information much appreciated, and yes unfortunately mine has the 2.14 gears

Reactions: 1 user

TimothyOnTop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
Lokar? Probably the diptstick and tube? I wasn't aware of them making a kickdown cable. But then again, I don't dabble in much aftermarket stuff to pay attention half the time.

It's been about 30 years since I've even HAD a car with a TH350 in it, so I'd have to take the way-back machine to even try to remember how to lean on my personal experience with these kickdown cables.

Ok. After a little checking, apparently, they do, but for a pretty pricey sum of around 130 bucks. And also can get them with braided covering for the cable sheath. You can get a half-dozen regular kickdown cables for that much. Unless you gotta have bling, get the regular. Nobody will hardly see it anyway. But, unfortunately, there's no factory application for your car because if it's the stock 17085282 carburetor, it has a spot for the TV cable plastic teardrop connector, but not an Olds kickdown cable. I don't think.

Unfortunately, not having experience at mixing and matching TH350 with TH200Cs, you'd be ahead if you could find something to fit this little stud in the pic below. Assuming your carburetor is original. You may be able to find a bracket somewhere that has provision for the kickdown cable. Factory one has a detent cable provision, but not sure if it's in the correct place or size for a kickdown cable. Maybe if your cable was adjustable. I don't know. Involves a bit more digging.

View attachment 215538
Yeah it has a chrome lokar vac line from transmission to carb and a chrome lokar dip stick and a chrome lokar kickdown cable from transmission to the throttle cable linkage but the little metal wire inside the line that clips to actual throttle linkage is broke so they must have put in proper bracket to accommodate the 350 kickdown instead of th200c tv cable

TimothyOnTop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
Just a quick thank you to everyone for helping me sort this out I appreciate all the time and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor