need help with alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarfreak69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2012
ok,so today i went to take off the nut on my positive alternator post and it was rusted on the the crappy price of wire snapped off but the bot didnt move, but something else will, the whole post that the nut is on, it all spins except for the the piece you see. my question is, is this supposed to happen? when i turn the nut and post it feels like something else is moving inside. did i break my alternator? here is the pic on the bolt and post. also can anyone tell me what type of cs alternator this is?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/quuky

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if that bolt was rusty and frozen the inside of the alternator was probably in the same condition. I would get a rebuild from a local guy who rebuilds alternators. I stay away from the box stores

guitarfreak69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2012
well i had it running and the alternator seamed to work fine my gauge stayed a healthy 14v and battery is good, and i drove it without problem. right now a new alternator is not really an option, but it is defiantly a necessity down the line, i just want to make sure i didnt break something inside because i dont think the post is supposed to spin freely.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the post isn't supposed to spin. You can take the alternator apart and replace the broken part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor