Need Help with an Engine Light coming on

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernMuscleHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
I have a 1978 Malibu. It's got a 305 4bbl. I have not run the numbers yet, but I think it might be an LG4 from a Monte Carlo SS. When the car heats up the Engine light comes on every time I stop. It's just a red light that say's Engine. It goes out whenever I pull away and drive. It only comes on once it's warm and at idle like stopping for a red light or stop sign. Does anyone know what this is ? It's not an oil light, or temp light, it just says Engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Is the car all original, or has it been modified at all? And I'm talking about your dash, guages, and wiring. Because I don't think (but I could very well be wrong) that they had 'engine' lights in 78. My '80 Malibu doesn't have it, nor did my '80 Grand Prix. But my old '85 Bonneville did.

Maybe you or a previous owner swapped out the guage cluster from a newer one... or am I totally wrong guys?

My first instinct is its something small and stupid. Like say maybe an o2 sensor. Or maybe some other stupid sensor. But anyway thats my guess.

I'm not sure if the dash has ever been changed. It's a real simple dash with the long rectangle speedometer that goes left to right and a gas gauge in the left corner. That's it. No clock, no tach, no anything else. I'm not sure why it would even have an Engine Light. There are no O2 sensors on a 78. There are no MAF sensors, no coolant temperature sensors for electric fans since it still has a clutch style fan. I've checked the oil and it's not low, it runs fine, I'm just not sure why this light comes on.

Is there an oil light? If not, maybe this 'engine' light is actually an oil light. If that is the case (but I kinda doubt it) then the problem could be your oil pump.

Lue said:
My 78 did that after i swap the engine in. I just disconected the dam light lol.

did your engine have an o2 sensor or anything else you didn't reconnect after the swap? Under the hood or dash should be a connection point for a scan tool (OBD1 for pre 1996 and OBD2 for then to current), you could always try a jumper and count the code or use a scan tool if it does have one of those. I MUST know what it is now. Hope you can find out why so I can sleep again. JK. Lol. Maybe goin from Olds to Chevy has something to do with it but I doubt it, too many people have done that and only a handful had problems. You could send a pm to 85 cutlass brougham and ask him. He seems to know his sh*t.

ibanezfxer said:
Lue said:
My 78 did that after i swap the engine in. I just disconected the dam light lol.

did your engine have an o2 sensor or anything else you didn't reconnect after the swap? Under the hood or dash should be a connection point for a scan tool (OBD1 for pre 1996 and OBD2 for then to current), you could always try a jumper and count the code or use a scan tool if it does have one of those. I MUST know what it is now. Hope you can find out why so I can sleep again. JK. Lol. Maybe goin from Olds to Chevy has something to do with it but I doubt it, too many people have done that and only a handful had problems. You could send a pm to 85 cutlass brougham and ask him. He seems to know his sh*t.

Well my 78 is long gone, but i'll see if it does the same thing to my 79. I havent had a chance to finish hooking everything up, and havent started her yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor